• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A College Degree may now hurt your chances of getting hired.

granted, in hindsight, I should have vigorously stockpiled money in my youth, learned a more financially aggressive trade, made a butt-ton more money than I did starting out, and then live off the investments in Thailand or some ****, but there's still time.

I worked my way from golf club cleaner and golf-ball-picker-upper and dishwasher to be a lead/shift server/bartender at a 4 diamond resort. I worked full time in high school and then double full time (2-3 jobs) over the summer breaks, including everything from cleaning grease traps to construction. I would get my **** done appropriately, and learned quickly, I didn't cause a lot of drama, I was reliable in attendance and performance. I was tasked with helping out some very high level people and did a solid job, which certainly lead to other things. I made some money, renovated homes, and banged a pretty significant number of waitresses (and a few restaurant patrons :hat::hungry:) along the way.

That work ethic and experience helped me get where I am today. I'm one of the few I know that worked 40+ hours a week on top of college (pre-med) and med school, graduated everything on time or early, worked 4-6 jobs as needed to get the ball rolling, and set myself up pretty good from the effort.

Now I'm actually rewarded for what I know instead of swinging a hammer, which is good cause I'm not 24 anymore. I think one of the issues is people want to live like I do at 40 without doing the work from 15-40 to get there. There's no job I won't ask a subordinate to do anything I'm not willing to do myself, and on the tough days I'm still the first in, last out, and usually bring donuts for the crew.
I get it, and I am by no means making light of your experience. Work experience is obviously important, because it builds a solid work ethic. Your learned work ethic is invaluable. What I was referring to is actual relevant work experience, although you did have "work experience", it wasn't really relevant to leveraging said experience into more money, e.g., I'd hire a guy with 2 years of relevant experience for more money than a guy with 10 years of "work experience".

Back
Top Bottom