• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A College Degree may now hurt your chances of getting hired.

Torn

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
52   0
Reaction score
Yesterday I was listening to Mary Walter and her guest was talking about future hiring trends particularly in small businesses. He said that many small businesses were now hiring employees right out of high school for jobs that don’t require a college degree instead of hiring someone with a degree. He said those with college degrees expect higher starting salaries even though their degree had nothing to do with the job they were applying for, they were more inclined to argue with other employees, were late for work more often, and were overall less productive.

Later I talked to a friend of mine who owns several small businesses and he agreed. Many times the applicant with the college degree expected the employer to basically help pay off their student debt even though they brought zero experience to the table, expected more benefits and higher salaries just because the have a degree and expected to make their own work schedule particularly working from home.

The high school grad understood they were starting at the bottom and had to work their way up, was more reliable and less confrontational with other employees and accepted the work schedule that was offered. I realize these are broad brush assumptions but considering what we see coming out of college, the applicant that HASN’T been through 4 years of liberal indoctrination and is not sitting on $100k of student debt may be a more appealing candidate than the brainwashed “know-it-all” with a Liberal Arts degree.

Recently heard the same thing about Veterans. A business owner was commenting that he'd rather hire a Vet than a college graduate. His reasoning was that Vets are punctual, follow directions and can put up with a bunch of crap. College grads not so much.

bWUuZ2lm.gif

Same in the construction industry. Some kids are getting 20+ to start straight out of high school with zero college plans.
The HS aged people have less "idiot" in them to correct and will get ahead a lot faster in a company starting green than what comes out of colleges these days, crazy that college has become a turn off for some employers.

Recently heard the same thing about Veterans. A business owner was commenting that he'd rather hire a Vet than a college graduate. His reasoning was that Vets are punctual, follow directions and can put up with a bunch of crap. College grads not so much.
When I got hired by the FAA, 80% of controllers were prior military (myself included) that had worked as military controllers and had on the job experience. We knew what was expected, knew how to deal with stress, crappy work schedules and the importance of working as a team. Training and overall productivity was excellent.

Fast forward to 2010 when 90% of new hires were from college, had no experience just a piece of paper that said they were something and no concept of stress or a rigid structure in a high stress environment. They whined, pissed and moaned that training was too hard, “the old guys” were mean and expected too much. They couldn’t understand why they were at the bottom of seniority and had crappy days off or had to work on their birthday. Well that is one of the reasons the ATC system is broken, delays are way up, they can’t handle the traffic load but no one wants to pinpoint the reason for fear of admitting their hiring plan was a complete failure.

really depends on the job. Many of the positions I'm aware of in my industry require a masters at a minimum, and usually a PhD or medical degree. Granted that's medical provider education, but yeah it's not completely going away.

For many jobs though I don't think college will be "required" by the time my kids (5, 8) are of college age. One wants to be an engineer, so he'll likely need 6+ years, but the other wants to be a "cooker man" (chef) which will likely be on the job training and/or trade school for like 2 years.

It’s very simple really:
4 year universities don’t prepare young people for the workforce. Trade schools, certainly. But not Universities.

We need doctors & unfortunately also lawyers.

But we also need welders, electricians, iron workers, concrete/civil hands.

For many years the high schools have been focused on pushing kids towards the 4 year Universities. The reason for this is that many of the guidance counselors & teachers in the high schools are self-supporting : they support their way of doing things. That is what they encourage.

I was heavily discouraged from pursuing a dual seal diploma in high school +20 years ago: my guidance councilor who I had known for a few years became combative when I told her I wanted the dual seal. She was overly aggressive trying to make me decide to pursue a strictly academic diploma.

I’ve often wondered if there was incentive for councilors signing kids up for academic diplomas.

After that day when I decided on a dual seal diploma she refused to engage with me.

It left an impression on me & I still notice when folks act haughty about education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lot of businesses require a degree for any jobs
Usually just to reduce the applicant pool to a Manageable number

My nephew works for a large auto insurance company. He’s one of the people who answer the phone when you call about a claim .
He works 100% from home .
Since it’s just calls and computer stuff

But they require a college degree or you ain’t getting an interview

He has a degree in history .

Enterprise rent a car requires a degree for the clerks working the counter .

You don’t have to spend $109k to get a degree.
There are community colleges and state universities everywhere .

Keep living with your parents , attend a state school , work part time . And you can graduate debt free .

But you need to get a degree in something marketable with strong demand

If you get a degree in international culture or some BS like that , that’s on you.

You should have gotten a RN degree in nursing in the same amount of time .

I didn’t go to college , high school was like a prison sentence and there was no way I was spending another day in school

I’ve missed out on a LOT of job opportunities because I didn’t have that damn price of paper .
I can do the job , but if you do not have a degree , they ain’t talking to you .

My other nephew did the blue collar trifecta

He started in hvac and got tired of the residential customers complaining, plus he was getting paid $14/hr while the company was charging $98/hr

Then he became a certified welder and sis that for a while then took the CDL class at chatt tech and got hired by a small
Company that does oversize heavy haul .

He loves it and made more money last year than I did .

I instructed a leadership course for my agency for a few years, a few years ago. When I would begin the class I would ask 2 questions: "Who here is over 18?" (to establish we were all ADULTS), and "How many was this their first job". I was always surprised. I also asked how many Vets there were. Surprise, surprise, the Vets were the best students.

Usually when we would do intros (everyone had to intro themselves with a background) you could tell right off who would be an issue. 99% of the time they were interns or recent college grads.

Back
Top Bottom