• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A little info on the Melonite QPQ process for barrels ,etc

I’m not a metallurgist, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I’ve done quite a bit of reading up on QPQ and hard chrome, especially when it comes to comparing the two. My $.02:

It’s a wash. QPQ is better at some things, HC better at others. I don’t think that the average American, with the average semi-auto AR, will wear out either one. It would take full-auto fire, and a lot of it, or being a professionally sponsored 3-Gun competitor to wear one out.

Personally, I think that HC lasts longer (but again, a moot point) but that QPQ has the potential to be more accurate as it tends to be a more uniform, controlled treatment. It can be difficult to HC a bore and get it even and uniform. Is this an issue for a general purpose carbine? Not in my book it ain’t.

I don’t know how FN is able to make Sniper rifles with a HC bore with a guarantee of .5MOA and better, with a guarantee of that accuracy to hold in excess of 10,000rds in a .308. No one else is doing it. I would like to see someone take a high quality barrel (Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, Schneider, LW, etc.) and have it QPQ’ed. I would be very interested if accuracy was affected, and how it would increase longevity and ease of cleaning.

Maybe no one is doing it because they don’t want it to adversely affect how often folks are replacing their barrels. I’d be willing to pay quite a bit more for greatly increasing longevity and ease of cleaning, if accuracy wasn’t affected.

Another good thing about QPQ over HC is that a HC barrel can be difficult to cut down. Cutting through the playing can sometimes cause it to cheap or peel back from the new crown. I wouldn’t see this being an issue with QPQ.

Back
Top Bottom