• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Rainy Tuesday Morning Commute: Shout-Outs

My commute is 17 miles one way. On a 'good' morning...it takes me 40-45 minutes to get here traveling only on roads that have posted speed limits of 45 mph or more. Most of the roads are 4-lanes or 5-lanes. Can someone please explain to me why my average speed for a 'good' morning commute is only 23 miles an hour? And heaven forbid someone have (read create) an accident...then all bets are off. Or even worse...just let it snow. Next time we get Snowmageddon...I'm sleeping at the office. It took me 4 hours to go what usually takes 12 minutes...

I think it is too damned easy to get a driver's license here in GA. It more people actually had to take a road test during their commute to work...we'd easily have 30-40% less licensed drivers.

I used to commute in central Jersey, talk about brain dead morons. I finally had to just laugh at them, no amount of frustration will make complete idiots into semi-competent drivers. There was plenty of snow in NJ, but as soon as it fell 90% of drivers would do 10-20mph (no lie), and the remainder would do 80. Total idiots. It was like pinball.

I'll start the rant about this morning's rainy commute and the moronic drivers I encountered on my way to the office.

To the Alabama asshole in the black Lexus GS300 with dealer plates on Macland Road: Please find I-20 east, get on the highway and go back to Alabama. Once you are there, stay there. The people of West Cobb do not need you to drive 35 in the left lane of a posted 55-mph 4-lane road during a rainy morning commute. Especially given that you wait until the last minute to change lanes to make a right hand turn. You are an idiot and are not welcome here in Cobb County.

And to everyone else who abandons all common sense and normal driving practices at the first drop of rain: Talk to your company about telecommuting on rainy days. The rest of us who do not have the luxury of staying home but can drive normally in inclement weather would appreciate you not being on the roads making an already difficult commute nearly impossible. You are a danger to yourself and everyone else who must share a paved surface with you...so just stay home and let us handle it.

And to the special people who can't seem to figure out how to turn on the headlights of your vehicle when it is raining: Put a For Sale sign on your car. Hell, put a FS ad on here. Take out a listing on Craigslist, eBay, AutoTrader, etc. But whatever you do...do not get on the road when it rains since you lack the mental competency to safely operate your vehicle. Especially you rich morons who own Mercedes but can't figure out how to operate the headlight switch on your $60K+ car.

That's all I have...what else you got?

But but but, he/she had to "check in" on facebook using their iphone and post photos on Instagram about how rainy outside it is lol.

It is not just in the bigger cities either. We have the worst drivers here that I have ever seen. I think ,and this is just my opinion, that it should cost 1000.00 dollars to get a drivers license and a 30 day driving school. . There are so many steering wheel holders that know nothing about how to drive. We had Drivers Education in school but It is not offered anymore. Just my opinion.

What bothers me is folks driving with their hazard lights flashing.

I don't get why this bothers people. When it is pouring and you can't see anything, I think this actually helps. I had someone in front of me flip on their hazards when it really started pouring, and I thought to myself, "hey look, I see that car much better now." I don't understand why people get their panties in a wad over it.

I blame the manufacturers for making "auto headlights". People get out of the habit of reaching down to turn them on, they just assume they'll come on when needed.

Now, with all of the technology in cars, WHY can't manufacturers make it so headlights automatically come on when you turn the wipers on?!

BTW, I mentioned to a co-worker as we went out to lunch one day to turn her headlights on (it was sprinkling), she replied "Why? I can see just fine." I think that explains 99% of driver attitude: I'm fine, screw you!

My car has automatic headlights. It is literally one small twist on the switch on my turn signal lever to go from automatic to manual full lights on. And I have an indicator on the gauge cluster that shows me whether my headlights are on or not. And this is on a $32K car. There's no excuse why someone driving a car that is 2X as expensive as mine can't figure except the last part of your statement.

And while we are at it: You nailed it. 99% of drivers these days have no respect or even common courtesy for the people that are forced to share the road with them. It explains the multitude of sins I see on my daily commutes to and from the office. It explains the people who will dart out of a side street/parking lot in front of a car barreling down on them at 55 mph. "Screw you...I'm going. You've got brakes." It explains how people think that using a turn signal (the few people who do actually use them) to change lanes means "I'm coming over...get out of my way" instead of "Can I please get over in front of you?" It also explains why everyone's cell phone conversation is so much more important than properly operating their vehicle. :crazy:

I hope I get even a small Christmas bonus this year. If I do...I promise that there will be an increase in adult diaper sales for the people who follow the same route I do to work. A 156db train horn will definitely get their attention if nothing else. And yeah...I'm pretty much mean enough to fire it off on anyone I catch going slow in the left lane while yakking on their phone. :eyebrows:

What bothers me is folks driving with their hazard lights flashing.

lol ya

unless its a freaking thunderstorm dumping gallons in a short period then they arent needed

i have had to use them honestly like once or twice in my life and it was either going to or from valdosta on 75

Back
Top Bottom