• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

I got one for you.

My best friend bought a PSA entry level gun. 16", carbine gas, pinned FSB. I take the upper off the gun, pull handguards and put it on the reaction rod. I notice it made a weird clink. Well, as i put the wrench onto lock nut it was so loose barrel can move in forward. IDK how this gun did not expolode. Anyway It now has nice BCM handguard, lowpro gasblock with dimpled screw holes. We shot like 100rnds, cycle fine, everything zero's good

I've seen that from a few manufacturers, and on several home builds.

Reamed the third gas port in two weeks. This one wasn't as bad as others I have seen. BA 16" midlength should have a gas port of .076", but this one was .073".

Check your ports during assembly. A lot easier to correct before the upper is complete.

I keep the appropriate size reamers in the shop, and in most cases can ream 'em while you wait.

This was annoying. Aero Precision M5 lower with factory FDE Cerakote.

The hole for the pivot pin detent and spring was slap full of metal shavings. Took 30 minutes of soaking and blowing it out with an air compressor, plus some digging with a tool.

1C6D89DA-CBA3-4455-AC81-96653D51C705.jpeg
O

This was annoying. Aero Precision M5 lower with factory FDE Cerakote.

The hole for the pivot pin detent and spring was slap full of metal shavings. Took 30 minutes of soaking and blowing it out with an air compressor, plus some digging with a tool.

View attachment 5130539O
Is that typical with Aero? I thought the had good QC.

Is that typical with Aero? I thought the had good QC.

Honestly, that's something that I'm used to seeing in Anderson's, but I don't see it that much in Aero's.

I've seen one Aero previously that had blasting media in the pocket for the bolt catch spring, but that was much easier to clean out.

I wasn't intending to dig on Aero, just wanted to give a heads up to folks will check for stuff like this.

I hope it's OK to pose this question here cmshoot cmshoot but I figure this is something others may wonder about and it would get the most exposure here.

I wanted a barrel with a pinned lo-pro gas block and I wound up with a Noveske.

The set screw doesn't have the teeth and the barrel isn't dimpled. Do I need to do one or the other, both, or neither if I'm going to use the pin? Red loctite?

TIA!
20221229_165511.jpg
20221229_165516.jpg
20221229_165603.jpg

I hope it's OK to pose this question here cmshoot cmshoot but I figure this is something others may wonder about and it would get the most exposure here.

I wanted a barrel with a pinned lo-pro gas block and I wound up with a Noveske.

The set screw doesn't have the teeth and the barrel isn't dimpled. Do I need to do one or the other, both, or neither if I'm going to use the pin? Red loctite?

TIA!
View attachment 5142775View attachment 5142773View attachment 5142774

No reason to dimple for the set screw if you're going to use the pin. You're good to go..

Back
Top Bottom