• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A visit with Mr. Greenjeans

Here is an interesting possibility, that my wife thought about today. Over the years, we have taken many friends and family members to a two man stand with us, so they can see what hunting is about. They were strictly observers. Now, my adult sons are wanting to take their ladies with them to watch. Of course, they will be wearing orange, but just sitting. No second gun or intention of shooting.
According to the regulations, anyone that assists any person in taking or attempting to take wildlife, is "hunting". So, if the non-hunter spots a deer and tells the hunter, are they an assistant? Seems like it could be. I don't think a court would uphold it, but I wouldn't put it past our game warden to try it. Looks like another "gray area", that is up to the ranger.

Here is an interesting possibility, that my wife thought about today. Over the years, we have taken many friends and family members to a two man stand with us, so they can see what hunting is about. They were strictly observers. Now, my adult sons are wanting to take their ladies with them to watch. Of course, they will be wearing orange, but just sitting. No second gun or intention of shooting.
According to the regulations, anyone that assists any person in taking or attempting to take wildlife, is "hunting". So, if the non-hunter spots a deer and tells the hunter, are they an assistant? Seems like it could be. I don't think a court would uphold it, but I wouldn't put it past our game warden to try it. Looks like another "gray area", that is up to the ranger.

This question come up frequently, and the court will uphold the charge.

There are all sorts of cheap licenses now - I think one is a "novice" license that just cost a few bucks- and prudence says you should get one of those in the situation you describe.

Maybe you could prove your point before the court, but how much are you willing to spend in time and money to make that point - which you may not make.

So, if the non-hunter spots a deer and tells the hunter, are they an assistant? Seems like it could be.

Yes, people pay hundred's dollars a day for someone to do that.

With all due respect, there is a HUGE difference in paying a professional hunter, and taking a girlfriend or child to a stand to enjoy the outdoors.
Apprentice Combo Hunting & Fishing License: $5 for one-day & $1 for additional days
If you would like to try hunting but haven't completed hunter education (available online or in-person) and are 16 and older, you can purchase an apprentice license and go try hunting! Although we recommend learning hunting from a mentor or another licensed hunter, you are not required to have a licensed hunter with you.

Anyone age 16 and older can purchase this license. There is no limit on the amount of one-day apprentice licenses you can purchase. You can stack up to 10 consecutive days of one-day licenses at a time.

Let's not sidetrack this idea. I am not talking about someone who would like to try hunting. No intention of EVER pulling a trigger on an animal. I am talking about someone who likes to go and sit with their significant other and read a book. We own our land, and the thought of telling my sons' ladies that they have to pay $5.00 per day to go sit, is absurd. Not to mention, that could be a lot of money. Otherwise, a complete non-hunter would have to buy a hunting/big game license, just to sit in the woods. That isn't going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom