• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

A visit with Mr. Greenjeans

lol I don't know the op but he seems like a good dude and good hunter. A game warden will check any person not just a "slob" hunter. Ever thought we aren't whining but more of pointing out flaws in how the game laws and regulations are written and enforced? Are you always an asshole or just one on the internet?
Yeah the ambiguity with respect to the regs is what is confusing. Reading the regulations as provided below, I wouldn't think someone would need to record their harvest on a "paper" version if they have the app. Otherwise why bother having a license copy on your phone? IF you don't have a phone and don't have the app then obviously one would need to record it on their paper license. Unfortunately, the regs are confusing and not surprisingly that's why we're discussing this not because we're "whining".

GEORGIA GAME CHECK
All alligator, deer, and turkey harvests must be reported through Georgia Game Check within 24 hours. For reporting requirements for deer harvested during Check-In hunts on WMAs and State Parks see Public Hunting Opportunities.

HOW TO REPORT YOUR ALLIGATOR, DEER, OR TURKEY:
Cell Phone Handy?
If you have a cell phone, enter the harvest date and county on the Harvest Record through the GA Outdoors App, online at GoOutdoorsGeorgia.com, or by calling 1-800-366-2661 before moving your harvest from the site of the kill.

You can report your harvest through the GA Outdoors App when your phone has no service. Enter your harvest date and county on the Harvest Record through the App. When you get to a location with service, access the App and sync to receive your confirmation number.

No Phone? No Problem!
Log It—Enter the harvest date and county on your paper Harvest Record before moving the harvest from the site of the kill.

Report It—Within 24 hours of the kill, report your harvest by going online to GoOutdoorsGeorgia.com or calling 1-800-366-2661.

Record It—Copy the confirmation number received onto your paper Harvest Record.

lol I don't know the op but he seems like a good dude and good hunter. A game warden will check any person not just a "slob" hunter. Ever thought we aren't whining but more of pointing out flaws in how the game laws and regulations are written and enforced? Are you always an asshole or just one on the internet?
never , just get tired of hearing people bash law enforcement , they have a job to do .

Interesting how some people interpret constructive criticism. I haven't seen anyone "whining" about anything, but merely pointing out the problems with the State's reporting system. When I do the "right thing" and report my deer through the proper channels, I shouldn't receive a phone call questioning whether I did it or not. He had all of my personal information. That is a total waste of time for everyone involved.

To be clear, I have never had a problem with any law enforcement. I was friendly with this Game Warden, and told him that he was welcome to come by any time. He knows where my farm is. We are law abiding people.

As far as reading the regulations and following the instructions.......Do you follow the ones in the hunting regs that say to record your harvest within 24 hours, or the ones on my CURRENT/VALID hunting license that says you have 72 hours to record it.

After several years of this system, you would think they would have it figured out. Must have been designed by the Obamacare website people.

never , just get tired of hearing people bash law enforcement , they have a job to do .
good grief, I was LE and the game laws and how they're spoken or provided to people is ridiculous. Its not bashing law enforcement, its complaining about the way the state and the state officials go about doing it. You've obviously never been harassed by warden over something petty or something that with a little bit actual "police" work they could figure out. When I was in LE a fellow officer got a ticket for hunting over bait the year before it was legal. Funny thing was the feeder was empty and had been for months. It actually didn't even have a battery in it, and was roughly 400 yards away from out of sight. Yet he still got the ticket. If you see our comments about how the law is written in a way it can be taken different ways and a particular one seems high strung as anti-LE you need to improve your reading comprehension skills.

I recall (30 years or so ago) a fellow , now diciest, allowed a Game Warden to hunt his property. They were “friends”.
One week before trapping season legally started said land owner set a few traps. Wrong , yes.
The GW discovered a trap while rabbit hunting and set up camp waiting for his “friend” to show up.
Yep huge fine.

What a nice guy Mr GW was......

I've met several GW in several states while hunting or fishing. All were mostly professional. One , not here, was jerk in the way he approached us on the lake.Had he seen ANY other boater do what he did he would have given a ticket.
In another state a GW was really zealous and came across 300-400 yards of snow covered corn stubble,in a high wind and -2 degree temperature , to check us dragging out a legally taken deer. He had no boots and only a sweater.He could have waited .We were walking right to him and our vehicles.
Been stopped and checked after dark, in the middle of 5,000+ acres, by a man all alone. He was doing his job well.
So bottom line, over 50 years of hunting and fishing and no warnings or tickets,
I am good with GW pretty much all the time. The bureaucrats and politicians
making the laws and the confusing manner in which they convey them,no not so much.

do you need a harvest record new each year?

you should carry a paper record for a backup, and you need a new one every year.

The online registration serves the legal purpose, and it's the day of -

Supposedly the app is set up so you can record your info even though you don't have cell coverage, but haven't personally tried that.

An old fart like you can get a free license and you still need a harvest record, although not necessarily a written one.

Before the app. existted you printed your own harvest report. If you wanted some bonus bucks, you just printed another report - there was no central registry. That's one major improvement of the app.

Back
Top Bottom