• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Above the law???

Interesting. I am not familiar with the TX law to which he is referring, but I will say that his language and his agitation probably heated things up to the point of being arrested. He was trying to prove his point, but most cops are going to error on the side of arresting you and sorting it out later. If they shouldn't have arrested him, he will be let go, but I am not surprised the cops found some grounds on which to arrest him, especially as agitated and mouthy as he was. It is important to say here that I saw no threatening action in the video toward the police; therefore, I think some calm conversation could have worked. The gun and rifle issue aside, I would not have modeled that behavior in front of my son. If his son, his son's badge achievement, the hike, their time together and his son's safety was the priority, he shouldn't have responded as aggressively as he did. I want to believe, he could have defused the situation by being more careful with his actions in word and deed. If you carry an AR around your neck with a 15 year old kid in tow, expect the cops to show up. When you talk to a cop, be very calm and clear and slow; answer the questions as they are asked; do not heat up unless you want to sort it out with an arrest on your record. Just my initial thoughts...Do you think the father could have tried better to defuse the situation? If so, what should he have done? I bet we will agree.

Why should you "expect the cops to show up" when acting within the law with no apparent signs of any intention to break the law?

Why should you "expect the cops to show up" when acting within the law with no apparent signs of any intention to break the law?

Exactly.
Besides, the carrying of a firearm is not enough to be stopped and questioned. There has to be reasonable suspicion of a crime being commited to "detain" anyone, and the carrying of a firearm is not grounds for suspicion of a crime.
Im getting tired of dbags seeing someone with a firearm and freaking out. 99% of the time if you see it, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Hell 99% of the time you dont see it, there is nothing to worry about.

I dont know about you guys, but I see a father carrying an ar with his boy scout son in tow, I am gonna stop and shake that guys hand. He is obviously for his son being self sufficient, knowledable, and respectful. The boy scouts really teach a yound child how to be a productive and respectful human being. As does the responsible handling of firearms...

Exactly.
Besides, the carrying of a firearm is not enough to be stopped and questioned. There has to be reasonable suspicion of a crime being commited to "detain" anyone, and the carrying of a firearm is not grounds for suspicion of a crime.
Im getting tired of dbags seeing someone with a firearm and freaking out. 99% of the time if you see it, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Hell 99% of the time you dont see it, there is nothing to worry about.

I dont know about you guys, but I see a father carrying an ar with his boy scout son in tow, I am gonna stop and shake that guys hand. He is obviously for his son being self sufficient, knowledable, and respectful. The boy scouts really teach a yound child how to be a productive and respectful human being. As does the responsible handling of firearms...

Well said.

Back
Top Bottom