• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Accidently caught him while catfishing

NICE!! I have a 10.5lb largemouth mounted on my wall that I caught out of Lake Paradise back in 2000. I graduated from ABAC and we used to go fish there all the time. Caught mine out of the Canal that runs around the main lake.

We used to fish for them on light tackle in the Flint River using some strawberry jello, cornmeal, flour and other sticky sweet stuff mixed with cotton balls to make it stay on the hook. Much fun on an ultralight and they WILL pull your tackle into the water if you don't secure it well, Don't ask!

Haha...that must of been fun. When I was a kid and other fishing was slow I used to catch them on a fly rod with a little corn.

We used to fish for them on light tackle in the Flint River using some strawberry jello, cornmeal, flour and other sticky sweet stuff mixed with cotton balls to make it stay on the hook. Much fun on an ultralight and they WILL pull your tackle into the water if you don't secure it well, Don't ask!

So you'd cover the cotton ball in jam and put that on the hook?

Disagree. The common carp typically has a couple whiskers and its mouth is turned down. The grass carp has a wider mouth, towards the front of its face and missing the whiskers.
Also the cheek plate has a different width too.
I see this as a grass carp.
I've been wrong before though.

Just found this too...
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/invasiveweeds/question.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom