• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Accurate 5744 for .223

Are you saying that because you don't see any load data for heavier bullet weights?
Or do have some other reason?

Two reasons, first as you are aware that there is no load data from the maker for anything heavier than 55 grains. Second AA 5744 is the fastest burning powder listed. That fast burn rate and a heavy bullet conspire to exceed recommended safe operational pressures.

I don't have experience with this particular powder but having used various powders both faster and slower in semi-autos, I do understand that the rapid spike-peak power pulse is short and rapid which may impact function. Lighter bullets can also impact function as well as accuracy for the given barrel twist rate. A fast burning powder and light weight bullet are two conditions I would avoid if possible for a semi-auto as it relates to function. A fast burning powder and a heavy bullet is one I would avoid as well but for safety.

300BLK is an interesting round with special needs. The large bullet takes up space that powder would normally fill, hence the need for an efficient (faster) powder. I can see why some see it as a good powder for this round. It's also interesting that some prefer it as a substitute for black powder guns 45-70 etc. all which fire a ridiculous wad of lead at relatively slow speeds but are cool and need to be experienced.

Two reasons, first as you are aware that there is no load data from the maker for anything heavier than 55 grains. Second AA 5744 is the fastest burning powder listed. That fast burn rate and a heavy bullet conspire to exceed recommended safe operational pressures.

I don't have experience with this particular powder but having used various powders both faster and slower in semi-autos, I do understand that the rapid spike-peak power pulse is short and rapid which may impact function. Lighter bullets can also impact function as well as accuracy for the given barrel twist rate. A fast burning powder and light weight bullet are two conditions I would avoid if possible for a semi-auto as it relates to function. A fast burning powder and a heavy bullet is one I would avoid as well but for safety.

300BLK is an interesting round with special needs. The large bullet takes up space that powder would normally fill, hence the need for an efficient (faster) powder. I can see why some see it as a good powder for this round. It's also interesting that some prefer it as a substitute for black powder guns 45-70 etc. all which fire a ridiculous wad of lead at relatively slow speeds but are cool and need to be experienced.

Good information to know.

I guess the question of the day is: Should I load up the other 90 (total amount of bullets I have left) or just wait till I can get more appropriate powder?

IMHO, if you are happy with the purpose intended (plinking) and the performance is acceptable ... load 'em and shoot 'em.
Otherwise, you will simply have a half-used bottle of powder sitting on your shelf for the next decade or so.

No way... That stuff has great 4th of July potential...

Clarke nailed it.

You're using safe published data with results that are acceptable for your app.

From your posted results I can see no reason for me to cull the combo.

Success is difficult for most, but not all to argue with?
:D

Back
Top Bottom