• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Adventures in Reloading .32 ACP!

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
I have a Taurus TCP 732 (.32 ACP) that I love to shoot.
It's easy to carry and a pleasure to shoot. For me, an Ideal CCW.
It performs 100% with Seller & Bellot 73GR FMJ's.
However, wanting something with a little more oomph
for my "Mouse Gun" ... I looked into Ranch Dog Outdoor's
loading information on the .32 ACP and decided to give the
loads a try using .75GR Rim Rock Bullets Premium Cast Lead .32 (.313).
I decided to try his (Ranch Dog) posted 2.8GR of Universal ... AND
Insomuch that the projectiles are pretty much the same specification that Ranch Dog used
to develop his impressive loading for the Taurus TCP 732, I felt
confident that this would be a great loading for mine!
Hey, Rim Rock even told me that their's is the exact same projectile
used by Buffalo Bore in their commercial offering, which boosted my
confidence level even more. This seemed too good to be true as my "luck" with
cast bullets to-date has been abysmal

Fast-Forward: Well, I loaded up about 25 after getting my dies tuned to producing
the proper length and crimped projectile. I even measured each and every charge.
There not being a Headspace and Cartridge Gauge available, I mic'd a few with my
calipers to verify dimensions to those published by Ranch Dog and Lyman's 49th Edition.
I then took them to the range and found that my Taurus had become a "Jam-O-Matic"!
Some minor runs of firing but a LOT of FTF's ... I had to stop when a projectile got
caught half-way into battery!?

Back to the bench! More measurement on the FTF's revealed that many were .339 Dia
where the published specification indicated .336 Dia! Not Good!
Further research on Cast Boolits indicated that "everyone" was using the Lee Factory Crimp Die
to do their loadings ... So (being a member) I posted a question about my experiences and
got enough replies to convince myself that I needed a Lee Factory Crimp Die for my .32 ACP loading.

Interestingly, a Lee .32 FCD is a "Custom Order" ...I ordered one only to have it cancelled by Lee as they
are swamped with custom orders ... More Posting on Cast Boolits got the recommendation from a member
making the very same loading ... Get a Redding Taper Crimp Die ... Which I now have on backorder
through Midway

More later ... and while I wait, any (constructive) feedback would be appreciated ...

I would greatly appreciate your refraining from making "smart donkey" remarks about .32 caliber or
the make and model of firearms to replace my Taurus (or a discussion as to the merits / lack thereof of various Mouse Guns in general).

Be reminded that the primary purpose of this forum is to help one another to safely and economically enjoy the sport of reloading, shooting
and maintaining firearms. There are quite a few out there that shoot old .32 ACP as well as .32 S&W's/ Longs/Rimmed ... that may
also find some of this information to be useful.

"Thank You" in advance for your kind attention to and treatment of this posting!

Earl Clark - Cumming, GA

Last edited:
Hate that your stuff is on backorder. I've never shot a 32acp, but I get flack because I reload 380.

I enjoy shooting my Browning BDA. It goes to the range every time I go. A well placed shot w/ either will do the job.
I'll let you know if I run across one of the dies while I'm surfing today.

That is a great post. Lots of effort and research. Sorry for the struggle man.
Do you think the issue lies in the fact that those projectiles are too large?
Are there any other specs which don't match the factory ammo that works ?
there are so many smarter folks here than me -
I am in cumming and use rcbs and load 9 mm 45 acp 380 223 & 308- you are welcome to amything I have that might help sir.

Hate that your stuff is on backorder. I've never shot a 32acp, but I get flack because I reload 380.

I enjoy shooting my Browning BDA. It goes to the range every time I go. A well placed shot w/ either will do the job.
I'll let you know if I run across one of the dies while I'm surfing today.

I appreciate that ... AND, YES we do have our reasons for having them ...
Mine is intended to get me safely to my G23 sitting in my car's glove box!

That is a great post. Lots of effort and research. Sorry for the struggle man.
Do you think the issue lies in the fact that those projectiles are too large?
Are there any other specs which don't match the factory ammo that works ?
there are so many smarter folks here than me -
I am in cumming and use rcbs and load 9 mm 45 acp 380 223 & 308- you are welcome to amything I have that might help sir.

I appreciate the offer, and may consult with you from time-to-time as we reload many of the same calibers.
I have a few .380 casings that I (continue) to save up for you as that's one that I don't reload.

I don't see how a factory crimp die will help, typically the bullet sweater crimps as well, have you tried backing out the sweater part and pushing the die into the press farther to get a better crimp?

I don't see how a factory crimp die will help, typically the bullet sweater crimps as well, have you tried backing out the sweater part and pushing the die into the press farther to get a better crimp?

Thank You,

Yes, that was my very first thought.
However, even with a little torquing down on the seater die's crimp pushes it into a roll crimp (Which will not work on this
projectile as it headspaces on the case mouth.) Additional torquing will then begin to further deform the case itself OR over-swage the projectile
over the outside of the case!)

I have actually run into this problem B4 in loading lead projectiles in .45LC (which does use a roll-crimp, but also need more side crimp to prevent projectile deformation and case wall deformation - or bulges!)
this as well as .45 ACP using lead projectiles (Some of my abysmal luck with cast projectiles!)

Which book are you using ?
i just read the section in Speer # 14 and will send info to you as reference if it helps.
It mirrors much of what you have already said.
Will scan and pm page to you if needed

looking to hear how it turns out. You might want to get a sizing die to get those bullets into spec. Im looking to load 32 within the near future, but for a revolver, really looking forward to seeing how it all works out for you.

Did you compare the S&B OAL to your OAL?

Back
Top Bottom