• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice needed - I harvested my first @ 2 gallons of honey today

View attachment 2671546 Updating older thread here. Just harvested 49lbs from 17 medium frames (2.5 supers) from 1 hive. Light colored and has a wild flower flavor. Other 4 hives are not ready to harvest yet. lftd&pwrstrok'n lftd&pwrstrok'n advised to get to a powered extractor and it was a blessing. Used an Ozark filet knife for the uncapping and it worked like a champ also for $15.
is any of this for sale?

My Grandad raised bees all his life. Refered to em as his babies. He was a pastor of several churches. Knew lots of folks. He had hives spread all over the county in Alabama overlooking cow pastures. Clover Honey. It was a little dark. Everybody in the family pedeled honey for him. There was always honey on the table..His babies got the best of him. Chasing a swarm of bees, he cut a sapling to knock the swarm of bees off a limb to fall into a super. Supported the sapling in his gut and tried to knock the swarm off the limb to fall into a super on the ground and hopefully capturing the queen. Ruptured his spleen and died. 90 yrs old

I told my buddy that it is amazing that hives do so well since they are all females.:rolleyes: Nice thing is that neither the wife or myself got stung today dealing with the girls. Looks like I might get another pound or so after dumping the capping strainer twice. Not a bad haul from one hive that still has probably another deep super full that we left for the bees. Might have to get labels and sell some next time.

Back
Top Bottom