• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

advice on Big Green Egg....

halo696

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
744   0
Reaction score
I want to buy one for my brother as a house warming present. I've never owned one and I'm wondering is there any disadvantages when buying a slightly used one, best place to buy a new one, things to look for as far as damage, is there any warranties etc.....

The plan was just to go buy a new one but I see them fairly regularly used, suppossedly like new on different forums for few hundred or more below retail. I would hate to buy one and end up having to replace an expensive part or something.

Thanks for any help in advance.

They occasionally do develop cracks. I have never had this problem with mine but the warrantee is limited to the original purchaser through a licensed dealer, this would make me cautious in purchasing a used one and it would have to be priced into the deal.
I have cooked professionally and for the family for 40 plus years and the BGE is the best piece of cooking equipment I have ever worked with within its scope, have never taken anything off of mine that wasn't delicious.
You are a good brother.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/
Here is their warrantee info.

They occasionally do develop cracks. I have never had this problem with mine but the warrantee is limited to the original purchaser through a licensed dealer, this would make me cautious in purchasing a used one and it would have to be priced into the deal.
I have cooked professionally and for the family for 40 plus years and the BGE is the best piece of cooking equipment I have ever worked with within its scope, have never taken anything off of mine that wasn't delicious.
You are a good brother.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/
Here is their warrantee info.
What he said

I bought mine used back in the 90's and have never had an issue with warranty parts. I know their written policy says original owner....I'm not sure if there was a change and I was grandfathered in or if their written warranty and what they actually practice are two different things. That being said I'd probably go new since it is a gift.

I love mine but I tend to use my pellet grill/smoker more. Meanwhile I have a big expensive gas grill that hasn't been lit in years.

Back
Top Bottom