• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice on loading up .45 ammo?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am stuck with what I bought unless someone wants to trade. I did not know you cannot return powder or primers even if they have not been opened. Yes I am new to reloading.

That being said:
185gr jacketed HP
once fired .45 brass
Magnum large pistol primers CCI 350
IMR HI SKOR 700X smokeless

I was told 4.7gr but not sure.

What do the experienced loaders have to say?

Thanks for the help.

JD

Hm, yeah...you need to trade off those magnum primers, I think.

I don't know about that powder, but it should work. It seems there's a lot of overlap with shotgun powders and .45 ACP. That load feels ok to me, but I don't use Hi Skor, so don't hold me to that.

185gr JHP makes form some expensive plinking reloads, but will obviously work if that's what you have.

Check your once fired brass for small vs large primer pocket.

That's all I got for now.

4.7 would be pretty anemic. My data says 4.9 is a starting load with a max of 5.5 - if it were me, I'd start with 5.0 and see how it went from there.

http://www.imrpowder.com/pdf/IMR_handgun.pdf

Haven't loaded that powder but posted you a link to it. I have loaded magnum primers in 45 acp and just backed off the load a bit. That said i'm sure someone around Kingsland or St Mary's will be glad to swap some with you. Petro58 sent may a reloading link that is excellent. I don't have it one this computer though. You might send him a PM and get it from him.

Thanks to all for the information and the link it was very helpful. I do have a manual however I like to still hear the opinions of guys that have been there and done that.

r/

JD

Lots of good advice out there, even a few web sites that are quite useful, but never use a loading that you haven't verified from a powder manufacturer's published
web site / loading data or a recognized reloading manual ... my (current) favorite is Lyman's 49th edition ...

Back
Top Bottom