• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Affordable reliable Bug out vehicles

I have restored several of them. M1008's & M1009's. Yes, I have used them for daily driver's. I could get in and drive cross country if needed with no worries at any time. HP is adequate, not for speed demons. 15-17 mpg city & 20-23 mpg hwy. Cost of restoration done correctly including purchase price: $10-20K depending on what kind of interior is wanted, suspension wants & needs, etc... Here is a pic of one of my favorites...
big-png.2571484

i am not a spammer

yeah I mean they weren't perfect by any means. But for just something to drive around in on the weekends they aint bad. I had one for a few months before I sold it. Bought it off here actually, paid around 2k for it, had plenty of things that needed to be done. I found myself in a situation where I needed to sell it so I sold it for 3k. They are different in their set up and it takes some time to understand how everything works. I would recommend being mechanically incline before buying a m1009 or any of those variants, or at least have a friend that is willing to help that is knowledgable.
Yeah, but we're not talking about driving around in on the weekends....

GovPlanet has 3 or 4 showing down in Albany which isn't that far from me. Aside from a bug out vehicle I want a full size comfortable reliable car. And that just has Crown Vic Cop Car written all over it.
02 and up are pretty good in the snow with the limited slip diff. I think 2003 and up you get rack and pinion steering and the camber/castor is easier to adjust.

02 and up are pretty good in the snow with the limited slip diff. I think 2003 and up you get rack and pinion steering and the camber/castor is easier to adjust.
Good info to know. I think it's around 06 or 07 when they began putting idle hour meters in them. That's also good info to have before buying. Some of them have sat running more than they were driven.

I would buy a real 4 wheel drive just so you get locking center diff. and more load carrying ability. I vote a Land Cruiser. They can be had right price with paying attention. The Lexus versions are even cheaper. A Sequoia can be had with 4 wheel drive and a lot of capabilities. A 4 wheel drive late 80's to mid 90's Suburban is in the category as well.
I just picked up a 1st gen sequoia so I can say, with bias of course, they’re a good choice. It was a good choice for my AO as well. Lots of housewives driving those things around so 1) It blends in and 2) Plenty of parts. Good 4x4 system and the legendary 2uz-fe :thumb: they aren’t massive so they’ll fit down a good number of trails, but they’re big enough to store plenty of people and gear and if need be one could live out of one temporarily. I dig it

Back
Top Bottom