• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

After years of being ****ed by ISP

Do you really believe the price will come down? I've been in the telecom and data business for almost 20 years and one thing I can guarantee is that the cost never gets cheaper
Oh, yes.

With LEO, the cost is launching of the satellites, and the tech for the receiver. If memory serves, the receiver costs something like $1000, and the government subsidizes it for $500.

Then you have a monthly fee of like $99/m. Do I see that going down? Maybe not, leaning to probably, in rural areas, you are a bit of a captive audience. They could make less expensive tiers. Space X, who owns Starlink, is one of Elon Musk's Tesla companies. No one thought he would make a car for less than $80k, but then he came out with the Tesla 3 for $35k, and the small ones he's making for China and Europe will no doubt be less, if imported into America. If anyone can make it less expensive, it's Musk, he kinda bucks the trend of what you think traditional businessmen would do.

I definitely see the receiver getting much less expensive over time, with economies of scale. Like I said, DoD has a reason for wanting this to succeed, and that means making it commercially viable, not having to rely on a subsidy.

The reason the tesla 3 is 35k and not 85k is not because musk is taking a loss, its made with cheaper batteries and motors, not to mention it gets almost none of the high end software. While i believe if anyone can do it, its definitely Musk. Unfortunately the overhead and initial cost of launching the new LEO network is sooo expensive your looking at 20years + before it even breaks even.

The reason the tesla 3 is 35k and not 85k is not because musk is taking a loss, its made with cheaper batteries and motors, not to mention it gets almost none of the high end software. While i believe if anyone can do it, its definitely Musk. Unfortunately the overhead and initial cost of launching the new LEO network is sooo expensive your looking at 20years + before it even breaks even.
True. I expect that the telcom's will be giving some funding in the next few years, and push for an end to landline out in rural areas.
Attempt to change this:
https://www.fcc.gov/general/telecommunications-service-rural-america

We'll see. I don't ever expect it to be cheap, unfortunately, them's the breaks with lots of land and freedom, TNSTAAFL, something has to give, and internet and cell service is usually that. But this at least will get people better service, I hope.

I pre-ordered as well. Website said it will be available mid to late 2021. Starlink got the biggest cut of federal $'s for rural internet this last go around. The other rural providers are b@#$%ing big time. Threatening to sue. Saying Starlink can't provide what they say they will. So far they have met the qualifications for receiving the funding with only a little over 1k satellites in orbit. They have received approval for many more than that. I read an article the other day that was kind of worrisome, it said even most people that have HSI are not happy with current providers so thwy may switch to Starlink. If this happens it will bog the system and rural people still won't have a viable provider until Starlink launches a lot more satellites. We will see, if they can deliver a quarter of what they say it will be worth it for me.

Back
Top Bottom