• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Air Fryer - gotta have or a gimmick?

Gimmick. And pointless is you already own a convection oven, because that's all they are: miniature convection ovens.

My oven doesn’t have the convection fan option… I will make sure to get the convection fan on my next one though.

We use our air fryer pretty regularly.

In fact, I used it this evening to crisp up a 8” grilled chicken, rice, and queso cheese burrito that I put together. Smash!

one thing to consider is the air vent
that hot air has to go somewhere
my Emeral french door model vents to the top rear
and leaving it on the counter top below the cabinets it has caused the stick on under cabinet lights to fall off
I set it sideways on the counter so the hot air does not get confined

IMG_20240113_163535.jpg

They do require some space around them.

The Cuisinart I have vents to the left side so there's no more heat above it than a regular toaster oven. The hot air is recirculated inside the oven, so it's not like a blast of 400 degree air is coming out the vent, but I could see it being warm enough to loosen stick-on lights.

Gimmick. And pointless is you already own a convection oven, because that's all they are: miniature convection ovens.

You're right that an air fryer really is just a small convention oven. The point there is that most people don't have a convection option on their regular ovens.

And even if they did, the amount of waste to heat a large oven just to air-fry some tater tots is huge.

If you want fried foods without the mess grease makes, and without becoming GA Powers' Customer of the Month, a dedicated air frier makes a lot of sense.

In my case I split the difference with the Cuisinart. It does everything my main oven can do plus the air-fry, convection, and toasting options. And it's big enough to handle that for 99.99% of the things I cook.

They do require some space around them.

The Cuisinart I have vents to the left side so there's no more heat above it than a regular toaster oven. The hot air is recirculated inside the oven, so it's not like a blast of 400 degree air is coming out the vent, but I could see it being warm enough to loosen stick-on lights.

You're right that an air fryer really is just a small convention oven. The point there is that most people don't have a convection option on their regular ovens.

And even if they did, the amount of waste to heat a large oven just to air-fry some tater tots is huge.

If you want fried foods without the mess grease makes, and without becoming GA Powers' Customer of the Month, a dedicated air frier makes a lot of sense.

In my case I split the difference with the Cuisinart. It does everything my main oven can do plus the air-fry, convection, and toasting options. And it's big enough to handle that for 99.99% of the things I cook.
Well said. Our main oven is also convection but the countertop air fryer gets the call 99% of the time. Just the wife and myself so it is plenty big and useful for us with the toaster, reheat and other options it has.

I prefer the old fashioned method.

Take the cooktop outside and fry it up!

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpeg
    IMG_1416.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1417.jpeg
    IMG_1417.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 7
I love deep frying a turkey but peanut oil is apparently liquid gold and much to rich for my poor self :lol:
No joke. I strain mine through cheesecloth and keep it in the fridge. My fryer holds 2 1/2 gallons. Every time I fry, I filter 2 gallons to reuse and discard a half gallon. Then add a half gallon of new the next time and no taste. Even if it was a fish fry.

Back
Top Bottom