• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AK Jamming Problem 74 & 47 Help

lwrd81

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
41   0
Reaction score
I have (2) Ak's That Jamb on the 5th or 6th round everytime.

#1 is a Custom build AK-47 DC industries receiver that came from another member on here that was welded, not riveted. It rapid fires fine, but single fire it jams on the 5th or 6th bullet everytime. I've tried numberous types of mags. Same thing.

#2 is a Hesse Ak-74 conversion New ( I know supposed to be bad news ) but this gun is accurate as all get out. I've tried circle10 & Tapco mags. It jams on rapid fire & single fire on 5th thru 10th round.

Both guns have tight receivers and there is no wobble in the mags at all. I've tried different manufacturers of Ammo as well.
Questions:
Is there any adjustment that can be done to correct this problem ?
Is there a local AK guy that knows AK's on the south side that won't eat my lunch?
Could it be that AK's do this until they are broken in, I've only shot about 20 rounds from each?

Any help or info would be appreciated...Thanks Members of the ODT

Try different mags. Just because they lock in tight doesnt mean they will feed correctly.

Besides, it's always nice to have a few extra mags around.

I don't know about needing to broken in...every one I've had fed and ejected right from jump street. I've built one with machine screws and my other build is a 'weld' build.
Never had a problem with either.
BUT
People tell me that welding may cause the receiver to bend or warp slightly. I don't know if that would contribute to the jams.
When you say it jams, it is a jam or is the bolt carrier hanging up? The reason I ask is this:
If the trunnion is welded in too far back in the receiver, the bolt carrier rides too far back and comes out of the rails causing it to bind when it starts to return. If this is the case, a recoil buffer installed may solve the issue. (this is the only reason that I would ever recommend a buffer for an AK)
(the buffer shortens the distance from the travel rails and the rear trunnion--it does not allow room for the carrier to come off/out of the rails)
As far as the Hesse rec'ver rifle...Hesse has had the absolute worst reputation in the AK world for bad receivers. If the trunnion holes were off in the receiver, it may be suffering from a similar issue. Try a buffer in it as well.
The hesse issues included not proper heat treatment of the steel, holes being drilled off spec and a couple of other things.

Any "built" rifles that exhibit these issues I'd try a recoil buffer before a gunsmith.

I don't know about needing to broken in...every one I've had fed and ejected right from jump street. I've built one with machine screws and my other build is a 'weld' build.
Never had a problem with either.
BUT
People tell me that welding may cause the receiver to bend or warp slightly. I don't know if that would contribute to the jams.
When you say it jams, it is a jam or is the bolt carrier hanging up? The reason I ask is this:
If the trunnion is welded in too far back in the receiver, the bolt carrier rides too far back and comes out of the rails causing it to bind when it starts to return. If this is the case, a recoil buffer installed may solve the issue. (this is the only reason that I would ever recommend a buffer for an AK)
(the buffer shortens the distance from the travel rails and the rear trunnion--it does not allow room for the carrier to come off/out of the rails)
As far as the Hesse rec'ver rifle...Hesse has had the absolute worst reputation in the AK world for bad receivers. If the trunnion holes were off in the receiver, it may be suffering from a similar issue. Try a buffer in it as well.
The hesse issues included not proper heat treatment of the steel, holes being drilled off spec and a couple of other things.

Any "built" rifles that exhibit these issues I'd try a recoil buffer before a gunsmith.

By jamming I mean it tries to feed 2 rounds at the same time after the 5th or sixth shot everytime. I have the pull the bolt back & again 5th or 6th round

Back
Top Bottom