• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AK Jamming Problem 74 & 47 Help

I don't know about needing to broken in...every one I've had fed and ejected right from jump street. I've built one with machine screws and my other build is a 'weld' build.
Never had a problem with either.
BUT
People tell me that welding may cause the receiver to bend or warp slightly. I don't know if that would contribute to the jams.
When you say it jams, it is a jam or is the bolt carrier hanging up? The reason I ask is this:
If the trunnion is welded in too far back in the receiver, the bolt carrier rides too far back and comes out of the rails causing it to bind when it starts to return. If this is the case, a recoil buffer installed may solve the issue. (this is the only reason that I would ever recommend a buffer for an AK)
(the buffer shortens the distance from the travel rails and the rear trunnion--it does not allow room for the carrier to come off/out of the rails)
As far as the Hesse rec'ver rifle...Hesse has had the absolute worst reputation in the AK world for bad receivers. If the trunnion holes were off in the receiver, it may be suffering from a similar issue. Try a buffer in it as well.
The hesse issues included not proper heat treatment of the steel, holes being drilled off spec and a couple of other things.

Any "built" rifles that exhibit these issues I'd try a recoil buffer before a gunsmith.

Where can I get a Biffer & where does it go? I read the same thing about Hesse after I bought it, but checked all the bad I heard & this one seems to have been done right. It's balls on accurate & if it would feed correctly......it would be my shooter. Just weird I'm having the same problem out of 2 different rifles

Sounds like a mag height problem. The mag could be up too far in the back (near the mag catch), causing it to strip more than one round. Adding some metal to the bottom of the selector stop where the mag hits should help.
It's hard to tell without seeing it though.

Back
Top Bottom