• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK/PSL Recoil Buffers

Hayata

Wolf Icon
Knock it off with them negative waves Moriarity!
177   0
Reaction score
Looking for opinions from those who have experience using recoil buffers in their AK's and especially PSL's.

Do they make any difference?

Do you have a brand you prefer? Do you have a brand you would avoid?

Opinions please and TIA.

These are the only ones I use now. Ive shredded all others in short order. These hold up the best. They are not made to last forever. Ive had this one in my PSL for over 2,000 rounds. Still very useable. I have these installed on every AK I own. After a couple K the yugo tore up the power custom. Ive had the same buffer in the yugo for a while now. Still in once piece.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/67...-buffer-ak-47-ak-74-valmet-galil-polyurethane

What are you trying to do? They really do not reduce recoil. Some people use them to keep the carrier from hitting the trunnion, but the AK was not designed for that to happen in the first place. If you are having issues with the carrier hitting the trunnion, you might want to try and replace the recoil spring. I have also read issues where the buffers cause FTEs because the rifle does not cycle properly and some rare cases where they come apart during rapid firing and gum up the internals.

I have also read issues where the buffers cause FTEs because the rifle does not cycle properly and some rare cases where they come apart during rapid firing and gum up the internals.

Never had a failure of any kind using the buffer. Ive also let the slide fire GO with several mag and drum dumps. The power custom did come apart. The one I posted... did not. Not to say it cant happen. You would wanna give it a good test before you deploy it for use!

What are you trying to do? They really do not reduce recoil. Some people use them to keep the carrier from hitting the trunnion, but the AK was not designed for that to happen in the first place. If you are having issues with the carrier hitting the trunnion, you might want to try and replace the recoil spring. I have also read issues where the buffers cause FTEs because the rifle does not cycle properly and some rare cases where they come apart during rapid firing and gum up the internals.

To answer your question, reduce wear and tear on the firearm. I have an AK-74 and a PSL and neither have much recoil. But if there was a cheap part I could install to make 'em last longer or be more pleasant to shoot (I have 8 year old twin boys) then I'm all over it. I wouldn't know about the carrier hitting the trunnion if it jumped up and bit me.

Bear in mind I'm just a weekend shooter/plinker. Firearms are a hobby and if one goes down at the range, it's not like it went down in a firefight and my life depended on it...

These are the only ones I use now. Ive shredded all others in short order. These hold up the best. They are not made to last forever. Ive had this one in my PSL for over 2,000 rounds. Still very useable. I have these installed on every AK I own. After a couple K the yugo tore up the power custom. Ive had the same buffer in the yugo for a while now. Still in once piece.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/67...-buffer-ak-47-ak-74-valmet-galil-polyurethane

Thanks for the link. The thing I appreciate is that the advertisement says that there is a service life for the part. Meaning that it's not supposed to last forever.

Small investment. I'll give it a try.

To answer your question, reduce wear and tear on the firearm. I have an AK-74 and a PSL and neither have much recoil. But if there was a cheap part I could install to make 'em last longer or be more pleasant to shoot (I have 8 year old twin boys) then I'm all over it. I wouldn't know about the carrier hitting the trunnion if it jumped up and bit me.

Bear in mind I'm just a weekend shooter/plinker. Firearms are a hobby and if one goes down at the range, it's not like it went down in a firefight and my life depended on it...

Then give it a shot. Some people think they reduce recoil so I just didn't want you to think it would help in that area. But if you start noticing any type of cycling issues, then I would remove it. As I said the AK was not designed for the metal to touch, but if it does, you can add a spring or the buffer.

Ok, if you have a PSL and install the recoil buffer, just be ready to get the ol' X-Acto knife out.

You see, when you install the buffer, the reduced stroke of the bolt will prevent the bolt-hold-open device from operating as designed. So, if you install one, be prepared to start trimming.

Don't ask me how I know.

Oh, and I haven't shot the rifle yet with the "modified" buffer installed. Just been too busy. But will post more when I do.

Back
Top Bottom