• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK Suppresors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is that? Velocity of the round?

Action noise, supersonic round with essentially no sub round options, loose enough to let alot of gas come out the action.

There really isn't a good semi auto suppressor host unless it has subsonic loadings like 300blk, or fancy bolt functions like an mp5.

I came in here lookin for advice, not your opinion jackazz.
will they let 12yr olds by suppressors? Seriously take some of these people's advice or you'll end up mad that you paid a ton of money and waited a long time for a 30 can and still have to wear earplugs. I though I knew what I wanted when I went to wwboater for a can and his knowledge and opinions have led me to what is an ultimately better direction that will give me alot more use and benefit from a suppressor.

Last edited:
Main thing with aks is making sure your threads are straight. But as uga said, they are very loud regardless. Look on YouTube for the video of rsilvers and his 300blk ak. Even with subs it wasn't hearing safe I don't think.

300blk with subs, is 100% hearing safe. I was standing 10ft from one going full auto, all I heard was the action.

300blk with subs, is 100% hearing safe. I was standing 10ft from one going full auto, all I heard was the action.

300blk is ballistically very similar to 7.62x39. You could easily reload 762 to the same specs. If you already have 762, it would be silly to buy into 300blk.

Most of the folks here telling you that AKs suck for suppression don't actually have an AK with a suppressor. They suppress much better than most people here would lead you to believe, although they are not ideal and there are better hosts if you're looking for hollywood quiet operation.

And most of them are repeating what they've heard about loose tolerances being the cause, because that's everything that's wrong with an AK according to anyone that knows anything on the internet.

The real reason is that it's a gas piston operated action, and that gas piston is intentionally vented to the outside. And the vents are pretty close to the end of the barrel, so a lot of sound leaks out. And yes, the actions are noisy too. A longer barrel AK, like an RPK, can actually be made hearing safe.

And even if you're putting a suppressor on a Draco, which would never be hearing safe, it still reduces the blast significantly, making the gun a lot more fun to shoot.

It's a no brainer if you have other rifles that can use the same can. Get a good 30 cal can that has multiple mounts and you can use it on all kinds of rifles, even 556. Even if they're not perfect on an AK, they're still a huge improvement and the can will still be available for another "perfect" host.

Az

On an AR yes it is hearing safe. I was speaking specifically of the AKSU that rsilvers of AAC/Remington had made. ---> last post http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=73548

"It is not very quiet though - 141.6 dB suppressed."

130 is normally the line for "hearing safe" depending on who you ask.

Here is a vid of it unsuppressed---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eb5fwPNH9c&list=UUMGjSDFGgR9NY0kjrrMkNeA&index=4&feature=plcp

Russians use a knife for a suppressor, not a can. Get with the program man!

I've seen/heard cans on AK's and some work quite well, while some.....not so much. With the quality of AK that you have you should be OK with most any .30 can.
Call Dick Ruppert at Custom Digital Design in Cumming and he'll be able to help you.........with no jokes.

300blk is ballistically very similar to 7.62x39. You could easily reload 762 to the same specs. If you already have 762, it would be silly to buy into 300blk.

Most of the folks here telling you that AKs suck for suppression don't actually have an AK with a suppressor. They suppress much better than most people here would lead you to believe, although they are not ideal and there are better hosts if you're looking for hollywood quiet operation.

And most of them are repeating what they've heard about loose tolerances being the cause, because that's everything that's wrong with an AK according to anyone that knows anything on the internet.

The real reason is that it's a gas piston operated action, and that gas piston is intentionally vented to the outside. And the vents are pretty close to the end of the barrel, so a lot of sound leaks out. And yes, the actions are noisy too. A longer barrel AK, like an RPK, can actually be made hearing safe.

And even if you're putting a suppressor on a Draco, which would never be hearing safe, it still reduces the blast significantly, making the gun a lot more fun to shoot.

It's a no brainer if you have other rifles that can use the same can. Get a good 30 cal can that has multiple mounts and you can use it on all kinds of rifles, even 556. Even if they're not perfect on an AK, they're still a huge improvement and the can will still be available for another "perfect" host.

Az
What 7.62x39 loadings do you have that are subsonic, will stabilize, and will cycle the action?
I doubt you were next to Rsilvers 300blk AK, on an AR yes it is hearing safe.

Most of the folks here telling you that AKs suck for suppression don't actually have an AK with a suppressor.
They suppress much better than most people here would lead you to believe, although they are not ideal and there are better hosts if you're looking for hollywood quiet operation.

Az

Thanks bro, finally got a respectable answer along with Quiet Riot.
Everything else is just like I said.

OPINION.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom