• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aluminum finish?

WinstonSmith

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Garthok Narfler
85   0
Reaction score
So, I had to take a very small section off a handguard to provide access to my adjustable gas block. Milled out a very small section. Smoothed it nicely with a small file. How would you finish such a small exposed end of Aluminum? 2 square ends about .3 inch. Should I just put a dab of paint on it and call it a day?

No. Use aluminum black. Easy and looks infinitely better than paint.

s-l640.jpg

No. Use aluminum black. Easy and looks infinitely better than paint.

s-l640.jpg

I was wondering about that. Several members on different forums I found on Google search didnt seem to like it for some reason. Have you used it with good results? Not really worried how it will look as the spot on the rifle is so small and it wont be very apparent. More worried about protecting the metal from the elements and not having it shiny/catching light.

I have used it on relatively small areas and the touch up is not noticeable. I use it without hesitation. Any idea why the others did not like it? Quick and easy to use.

I have used it on relatively small areas and the touch up is not noticeable. I use it without hesitation. Any idea why the others did not like it? Quick and easy to use.

They were saying the finish wasnt very good and one guy posted a video of it smoking after he applied it. Dont know if that's bad or how it's supposed to work but it looked odd to me.

It is for touch up of relatively small areas, not for refinishing. You need to rinse with water after about 10 minutes to stop the reaction and then buff with a cloth. Clean and de-grease the area well first. It has an acid in it and needs to be neutralized after it does it's thing. Follow the directions.

It is for touch up of relatively small areas, not for refinishing. You need to rinse with water after about 10 minutes to stop the reaction and then buff with a cloth. Clean and de-grease the area well first. It has an acid in it and needs to be neutralized after it does it's thing. Follow the directions.

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom