• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Always wear those safety glasses

Before I knew better I was shooting a piece of 3/8 mild steel with 9mm at about 25 ft. and hit a dent made by .223 at 100yds or so. Had to pick a chunk of lead and copper out of my chest but at least I had my eyes on.

That's why I always wear a ballcap when shooting. Helps keep trash from coming in the top, and gives a little added protection to the noggin. I require a hat with a front brim in all my live-fire classes.

Makes sense... I know that was a requirement when I took MAG-40 a couple of years ago and the one other, more informal course I've taken since.

Truth be told, I always avoided them if I could because they don't work well for me when I use earmuffs. The ESS glasses I have do a good job of sealing the top and sides so it hasn't been a problem. The only issue I have with them is they seal too well, and tend to fog up.

Now I'm using in-ear protection I may go for a (slightly) more open style glasses and start using a ballcap. Guess I need to start trying that out and see how it works for me without the muffs.

Makes sense... I know that was a requirement when I took MAG-40 a couple of years ago and the one other, more informal course I've taken since.

Truth be told, I always avoided them if I could because they don't work well for me when I use earmuffs. The ESS glasses I have do a good job of sealing the top and sides so it hasn't been a problem. The only issue I have with them is they seal too well, and tend to fog up.

Now I'm using in-ear protection I may go for a (slightly) more open style glasses and start using a ballcap. Guess I need to start trying that out and see how it works for me without the muffs.

Or use ear muffs that have gel cups. They are much more malleable than the foam filled cups. They will seal around the arms of your eye pro but won't press them into your head. I have the gel cups upgrade on my MSA Sordins.

My female cousin had a spent 9mm casing bounce off her glasses and landed right in her cleavage.
Smart girl, cleared and set the pistol down before jumping up and down and yanking on her shirt, bra to get the hot casing out.
First thing she said was "Don't tell anybody about this."

Well I did my part up until Just Now.

My female cousin had a spent 9mm casing bounce off her glasses and landed right in her cleavage.
Smart girl, cleared and set the pistol down before jumping up and down and yanking on her shirt, bra to get the hot casing out.

Lol, your secret is safe with us. :becky:

I'd like to thank the original poster.... I enjoy seeing gun failures that have good telling pics. I am amazed at all the pure bull s... posts you can clearly see this wasn't an out of battery discharge nor a problem with a high primer. it was a case failure exactly at the point it was un-supported. this is the one weak point in most semi-auto hand guns. just a weak cartridge case.... s... happens but I would question the overly flat primer.... an the guy is wrong, I'm not aware of any powder load that will function a gun properly and yet still have room for a safe double charge... BS to the max.... sure has all appearances of being a high pressure failure. the funny part is that I've seen many of these in 1911's. in a good steel frame 1911 it often damages the extractor, ruins the magazine and splits the wood grips. the grips often cause injury to the hand. rarely anything serious, hurts like hell and bleeds but a week or two and your back at the range. but in this plastic gun it's total destruction. complete frame failure. a lot of money down the tube and as with all such failures warranty won't cover it because of being reloads. hey maybe glock would they seem to cover most anything lol...... I have a large file of pic's showing many different firearm failures..... funny thing is most people would guess that high point would have the most.... wrong glock is number one! I don't own a plastic gun, never have, never will.

Mee too, but I don't wear glasses... just a sig 380 and the casing jumped straight for the girls. Wasn't very pleasant. Don't wear tank tops while shooting either

Mee too, but I don't wear glasses... just a sig 380 and the casing jumped straight for the girls. Wasn't very pleasant. Don't wear tank tops while shooting either

Yeah I make sure my wife and daughters wear shirts snug around the neckline when shooting, but thems glasses
Are Mandatory.

Back
Top Bottom