• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Amazon DuroMax Duel Fuel 13,000 Watt Generator. Built in the USA

Nope! natural gas seems to be the way to go. The connections and lines are safer. Just like you run on a stove.

Natural gas will be your best bet for long run times. I would be hesitant to run one more than about 8 hours though without a cool down period. You are changing oil every 50 hours of use, so it would get old quickly.

It's all just and idea at this point. I don't think theft would be a problem unless the SHTF. I was just trying to figure out a way to conceal the generator in case somebody got hard up and figured mine would be easy pickings. I just have to weight my options and read up on it little more to compare efficiency, fuel cost and location. I just had brainstormed the idea wanted some input from you guys that have dealt with it before. I have repaired many generators but have not have any experience in actually taking advantage of the function.

Let me roll out an plan on you and tell me what you think. I plan on buying a generator much like the one here. I have a small root cellar under the house. I thought about taking about 8 1ft. X 1ft cement flat blocks and dig up a little of the ground in there put the blocks down and leveling the pad out with dirt, sand and gravel just to allow for ground shift and water coming in. Then setting the generator on that pad and securing it some way to prevent movement. Then run a small section of flexible pipe from the exhaust over to the wall and then running a hard line from the flexible tubing through the wall and make an outside vent. I would also install a small exchange fan also controlled from inside the house just incase a leak develops in the exhaust. I don't see any problems as long as I stay on top of preventative maintenance in the spring and fall.

What do you guys think about this Idea. I would run a wire up inside the house so I could start the generator from inside the house so I could start and stop the generator from inside the house without having to run around the house.

I know I would have to make trips to fuel it but that can't be simplified without getting elaborate but I wouldn't have to worry about sticky fingers and every idiot that wants to plug in. I think the exhaust system is sound. The flexible pipe would absorb any vibrations that might cause a leak or broken pipe.

I just want some ideas to improve upon or hidden dangers besides the exhaust bit I feel it pretty sound.

Not worth the carbon monoxide risk, IMHO. You'd be better off building a small generator shed outside the ouse, with intake vents and an exhaust fan.

It's all just and idea at this point. I don't think theft would be a problem unless the SHTF. I was just trying to figure out a way to conceal the generator in case somebody got hard up and figured mine would be easy pickings. I just have to weight my options and read up on it little more to compare efficiency, fuel cost and location. I just had brainstormed the idea wanted some input from you guys that have dealt with it before. I have repaired many generators but have not have any experience in actually taking advantage of the function.

$50 worth of heavy grade chain and concrete will anchor the genset whereever you need. If thieves are motivated enough to deal with that, you have bigger problems than a stolen generator.

I use to fix our generators on the golf course. We had greens that didn't get a lot of air. So we used big industrial fans to cool the bent grass off. It doesn't fair well in the heat. I was constantly repairing those mainly because the fans put to much load on the size generators we had. You could tell the unit was struggling due to the rapid decrease of RPMs when the fan came on. The generators were under mega heavy loads all the time and it would really strain them.

Back
Top Bottom