• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammo grains

St1g

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So today I'm getting my first pistol a Springfield XD 40 5", and I'm looking to buy ammo, however I've never seen the different types of ammo grains out there, can somebody give me a quick lesson on what ammo grain is and why it is important, and what would be best for different situations. Appreciate it ladies and gents.

Hey guys,

So today I'm getting my first pistol a Springfield XD 40 5", and I'm looking to buy ammo, however I've never seen the different types of ammo grains out there, can somebody give me a quick lesson on what ammo grain is and why it is important, and what would be best for different situations. Appreciate it ladies and gents.

A grain is simply a unit of measure that the firearms industry uses for bullets and powder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_(unit)

to make it easy to under stand the lower the grain the faster the bullet but les mass when it hits , the higher the grain the slower the bullet but more mass . and were only talking a few grains here like 180 vs 165 . not that big a jump . propellents have a big roll in this as well. +p +p+ ect..

Just to add to the discussion, in addition to bullet weight and powder charge, bullet construction can affect a round's terminal performance as well. As for your new .40, congrats. I carry Federal 180 grain Hydrashoks in my .40 caliber Glock. This was the same duty load I carried as a LEO and is still used by my local Sheriff's Office. Never hurts to carry the same load as the police if you ever have to defend your actions in court. One less thing for an overzealous prosecutor or a dishonorable civil litigator to attack.

Really do appreciate the comments gents, I'm learning a hell of a lot about the impact that the grain can have on a target or the shooting of the pistol. From what I've gathered I'll stick to the 180 grain 40S&amp;W for my Springfield, if you have any other knowledge please keep dropping lines!

Back
Top Bottom