• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammo recommendation for new hunter - 243 ruger american

Lots of good advice given above.
A .243 will do just as good of a job of dispatching a deer as the .308, provided that you do your part and make a well placed shot.
I would opt for a monolithic bullet (solid copper) Barnes Vor-Tx makes a phenomenal round for your .243.

My daughter began her deer hunting career with a .223, using Barnes TSX ammo. It performed flawlessly and almost every single deer shot dropped in its tracks.
Best of luck to you!

1669902530993.png

I have had great success with these, .243 is not a downgrade. I am a 280 lb male and prefer the .243 over the .308.

Pick any box with a deer on it. Sight in. Kill deer.
It has been proven many times that Women and children kill deer fine with the .243 - grown men seem to struggle with it.
It's just a macho thing. I never had any problem with shooting a smaller caliber. I don't have anything to prove.

I have killed more deer with a .243 than any other round and I always used Remington 100gr Core Lokt bullets. They never failed to do the job. I also do not consider the .243 a downgrade. Excellent deer round which also doubles as a fine varmint round.
the only deer that I have killed was with Remington Core Lokt bullet in 100 grain. dropped in his tracks from 165 yard shot. Shot two more deer with sierra game king bullets in 308 and watched them get up and leave. I stopped deer hunting because I don't have a dog to track a deer and I'm not going to shoot an animal I can't find.

As most here have already stated. Stay with the larger bullets and Remington Core lokts, Federal and the Winchester XP's are good. However I do not have good luck with the Federal Game Kings in 308 or 243. The cheap Federals in the old blue box are the best for my kids and I.

Back
Top Bottom