• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AMORED dillos....

I've shot 'dillos with a .45 pistol. Seemed to work OK if I could hit them. They would thrash around and kick a lot, though. Same with shooting them with a shotgun and small birdshot.

My friend shot one with a .338 Remington Ultra Magnum. 220 grain bullet at 3000 f.p.s. blew the little beast in half. Well, probably more like the back 1/3 of him went east, the head and 1/3 of his upper torso flew west, and the middle portion just vaporized.

I was shocked at the number of armadillos and sign I saw yesterday kicking around BF Grant.
Also, I was very UNimpressed with the performance of Speer Gold Dot 'Short Barrel Personal Protection' rounds in .22wmr out of a single six on said armored dillos. :mmph:

Interesting. I've shot a number of them with .22 WMRs out of my Ruger SS in years past and they were DRT. Of course, I was using the original Winchester Super-X 40 gr JHPs, which always seemed to work just fine. Maybe a bullet failure?

Interesting. I've shot a number of them with .22 WMRs out of my Ruger SS in years past and they were DRT. Of course, I was using the original Winchester Super-X 40 gr JHPs, which always seemed to work just fine. Maybe a bullet failure?
Don't know. I'm "tempted" to specifically go after them and try again with a variety of loads. I always carry it when I'm in the woods and even deer hunting in case a yote happens close by and I'd rather not blast it with a centerfire. It's making wonder about the effectiveness of that strategy (at least with those rounds). I suspect perhaps they expand too rapidly but since I couldn't recover any of the vermin, no idea.

I shoot 2-3 a week. I've used 22lr, 380, 9mm Mak., 38spcl, 45ACP, 30-30, 223, 7.62 and 12ga. I've only had a handful fall DRT. They normally jump straight up when hit then run a few yards.

I shoot 2-3 a week. I've used 22lr, 380, 9mm Mak., 38spcl, 45ACP, 30-30, 223, 7.62 and 12ga. I've only had a handful fall DRT. They normally jump straight up when hit then run a few yards.

Having them run away after being shot is ideal. I wish everyone I shot would run off into the woods a couple hundred yards before stopping. I did shoot one with a 40 cal at 3 am and it ran about 40 yards before giving up.

Agreed when using .22LR, .38SPL, 9mm, & 45ACP out of a handgun. Central nervous system shock is the key on 'dillos & jackrabbits. Never had them run using 22WMR or .357Mag. Except in a few instances when poorly-placed shots didn't hit vitals with the WMR.

Back
Top Bottom