• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

An invitation from a stranger.

300AAC-hoghunter

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
161   0
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I had placed some of my M1A mags for sale and was immediately PM'd by one of the members here. He politely asked if I would ship and I kindly told him no. I asked him where he lived and was told around the Cordele area.

As we got to talking, I mention that I make a weekly trip from Lawrenceville to Savannah to hunt hogs. I told him that I could meet him in Macon and we can finish the deal there. We agreed for thursday night meet but as the conversion progressed, The gentleman told me that he had around 1100 acres near Rhine, GA and was planning on opening a hunting service there.

He told me that there was a huge hunting lodge that he built using recycled wood from his job sites. He told me that there are tree stands. He told me that there has very little pressure from hunters on his 1100 acres. So instead of meeting him in Macon, we agreed for me to come check out his operation.

I was very skeptical about new places...I was almost sure these things that were told to me wasnt as accurate as I imagined them to be or should I say...wanted them to be.

I got the call wednesday evening about the thursday hunt. The gentleman told me that he was out of town on business and that his brother Bland would be showing me around. I asked if I could bring a friend and he said yes. I told him that I had to be near Augusta GA at 10am on thursday to pick up a pistol from another ODT member and that I would drive to Rhine afterwards.

After the early morning trip to Augusta, I made my way through rural roads towards Rhine. I arrived just after 2pm and meet up with Bland and from there we drove to the property. Bland had a older SUV and was hauling a nice 4 seater(what looks to be like a golf cart). As we were following Bland to the property, Jeff and I was still pretty doubtful. IMG_1632.jpg

Bland was very nice and thoughtful. He asked if we were hungry or thirsty. His friend Cody also asked if we needed anything. I thought maybe because this property was so far out and there was no where to get supplies.

About 20 miles outside of Rhine, we came up on a dirt road, after driving pass a metal fence, Bland and Cody closed the gates behind us.
We were on the dirt road for about 2 miles...Still doubtful...Jeff and I joked about if we were even gonna have a good time or not.

Until we made the last turn off the last fork in the road and came upon this.....

gumlog1.jpg

OMG...This place is AweSOMe!!!!!
Welcome to Gum Log Plantation

Jeff and I were completely blown away by this place.
look closely to the picture above to the bottom left corner...see if you can make out the 2 people standing there. Jeff is the one in camo and he is 6 ft tall....that should give you an example of the sheer size of this place.

6 Double Bedrooms...each with its own bathroom and bath.
1 Master bedroom with its own bathroom and bath.
2 MASSIVE kitchens
Huge lounging area
HUGE Dinning Room seats like 20 people
IT HAS A SWIMMING POOL!!!!!!!!

IMG_1659.jpgIMG_1655.jpgIMG_1644.jpgIMG_1643.jpgIMG_1641.jpgIMG_1640.jpgIMG_1639.jpgIMG_1637.jpg

We got settled in and proceeded on to the hunt. Bland drove us around the property before setting up in our stands. On another note, I did notice something as we were driving the property. I asked Bland about the odd looking blind/stand and Bland tells me of his Handicapped cousin that recently passed away. His cousin was always helping other handicapped people and as a tribute to their cousin, they built a handicap blind/stand

Once in our blinds, Bland and cody drive about to the lodge.

Jeff ended up shooting 2 hogs but was only about to find 1. He also has a thread in the hunting section.

I shot at a group of small hogs and manage to put one down with my newly acquired FN 5.7 Pistol.

Overall experience was so amazing that I thought I'd share with you guys here on ODT.

Gum Log Plantation has had ZERO Paid hunters
They will start their website soon
Im working out the details with the owner of the plantation to give ODT Site Supporters a discount.

Last edited:
Wow, that plantation house is spectacular!
nice write up, I'd he thrilled to have a chance to hunt there as well.

Back
Top Bottom