Another deadly force thread

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this a bit since the Zimmerman/Martin case came to light, and since getting my GWL:

Im sure more than a few of us on here have been in a fight before. I am lucky in that I have never been in a fight where I thought I might die as a result. Sure there have been times when I thought I would get hurt, and there have been times when I went into a fight knowing full well I would probably lose, but I have never been in a fight where at some point in the midst of fighting I thought, "You know, this is going pretty bad, I might not make it out alive."

So, this has me wondering if being in a fight, even as far as getting jumped by numerous people, would be grounds for deadly force.

GA law states that you can use deadly force to stop a forcible felony. A forcible felony is any felony act that would result is serious bodily harm or death. That is to say, it has to be a crime considered a felony in Georgia, and involving physically harmful actions.

Most normal street fights are not felonies. In GA we have four (or really six) types of assault and battery:

- Simple Assault (misdemeanor):
Attempting to commit a violent injury to another person, or putting someone in a situation where it is reasonable that they will receive a violent injury.

- Simple Assault (aggravated misdemeanor):
Same as above, except that the act "...is committed on public transportation or at a station for public transportation, if the assault would be considered “domestic”, or if the victim was over 65 years of age, a pregnant female, or an employee of the public school system assaulted while performing job duties or on school property."

- Aggravated Assault (felony):
Aggravated assault is committed if the assault is with an intention of robbing, raping, or murdering, or if the assault is committed with a weapon that could cause serious injury, or if a firearm is discharged from a vehicle towards a person(s).

- Simple Battery (misdemeanor):
Intentionally causing harm to another person or touching them in an insulting or provoking nature.

- Simple Battery (aggravated misdemeanor):
Same stipulations as aggravated simple assault

- Aggravated battery (felony):
Maliciously causing bodily harm to another person by depriving them of a member of their body, by rendering a member of their body useless, or by seriously disfiguring their body.

As you can see, if you are getting beat up on the street, unless you are seriously disfigured, lose a body part, lose the function of a body part, are being beat with a weapon, or are being robbed/raped/murdered in the process, it is not a felony. So, this begs the question of whether you would be legally able to defend yourself with deadly force (or even the threat of deadly force) if you were being beat up in a fist fight that you didnt instigate. Since the act of beating someone up with your fists is not a felony, there would be no forcible felony to contend with and therefore no probable cause for deadly force.

Just for the record, I avoid confrontation and random acts of toughness like the plague when I am carrying. Even if someone were to start trouble with me and start beating me up, I wouldnt pull a weapon unless absolutely necessary to defend my life or the full use of all my body parts.

The key is do you Believe that the assailant is going to cause you great bodily harm? If the assailant has any kind of weapon like a knife or pipe,baseball bat or says he is going to kill me or rip off my head etc , that to me is justifiable to use a firearm in self defense.

The key is do you Believe that the assailant is going to cause you great bodily harm? If the assailant has any kind of weapon like a knife or pipe,baseball bat or says he is going to kill me or rip off my head etc , that to me is justifiable to use a firearm in self defense.

yep, thats about it right there.

Just for the sake of discussion:

Let's say that you are in a 1 vs 1 fist fight or better yet outnumbered 3 vs 1, none of them have any weapons, yet you are fearful that they could potentially get yours and use it against you?

LEO's are routinely attacked while carrying in plain sight ... by otherwise unarmed (but crazy / angry / drugged-up) assailants!
Ask them about the "S" they get for defending themselves ....

Trust me, I know.

Yet, they also have other means to stop an attacker e.g., pepper spray, taser, baton, etc. I think they sometimes catch flak for using excessive force whenever they could have tased or pepper sprayed someone.

I had the experience of being at the right place at the right time. I drove up on a local officer in a struggle for his life against a reckless, pole wielding meth head. The meth head had already struck the officer several times with his fist and made several attempts to unholster his service weapon. The two were in a back and forth struggle on the ground and I knew the officer's number had been pulled. I had to do something so slammed the car in park, raced over, and tackled the assailant while firmly placing my knee in his neck. At that point the officer and I were able to place cuffs on him. The officer could have kissed me on the mouth he was so excited to see me. He gratefully thanked me, we shook hands, and I was on my way.

Talk a bout a rush!

Just for the sake of discussion:

Let's say that you are in a 1 vs 1 fist fight or better yet outnumbered 3 vs 1, none of them have any weapons, yet you are fearful that they could potentially get yours and use it against you?

I dont know about all that. Definitely something you would have to prove in court, but what isnt when you think about.

LEO's are routinely attacked while carrying in plain sight ... by otherwise unarmed (but crazy / angry / drugged-up) assailants!
Ask them about the "S" they get for defending themselves ....

A cop lives by different rules than I do, e.g. a lot of them feel that any affront on their person or honor is immediate grounds for a beat down/ride to jail. I like to think I am more level headed than that. Regardless though, a cop getting beaten by an unarmed assailant shouldnt feel the need to kill someone for it. They are trained, or should be trained, in numerous non-lethal or less-lethal methods to deal with that situation.

Bottom line is a cop should be held to the same personal protection laws I am held to, at a minimum.

Let's go back to the unarmed assailant kicking your butt . Can you use deadly force ?

No, not unless they are choking you out, ripping your arm off, biting you, or in some other way committing a felony against you.

Back
Top Bottom