• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another example of insufficient safety training by a CCW holder

protective measures

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   1
Reaction score
If this person had followed the basic safety rules this little girl might still be playing with her family & friends instead of fighting for her life in the hospital.
With so many inexperienced & untrained people handling & carrying guns that they are not proficient with, get used to these kind of reports.
And as is so typical, the shooter was "helping" another church member to learn about guns.
How does one who has not had even the most basic NRA training or can't even answer the simplest questions relating to the carry & use of a firearm feel they are qualified to be "helping" others to learn their use?

If you are the "go to" guy for several family & friends on gun-related matters, if at all possible, at least go get a Basic Pistol cert. from the NRA to make sure that you are familiar with & can thoroughly cover all of the basics to keep people safe when using guns.

Or at least make SURE you know & can demonstrate the 4 Basic Safety Rules to teach them to others.
Does that guarantee us that these incidents won't happen? No, but in every case that I've seen, the safety rules were broken. When I ask "gun guys" I run into what the 4 rules are, most of the time they can't tell me.

If you don't know them, then you d**n sure can't follow them or teach them to someone who is looking to you for help.

These modern guns are NOT forgiving to the use of poor technique. No safety... whether it be a manual safety like the one misused in this report or a passive one like a Glock can make them safe from an unsafe person handling them.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/1691908...dentally-shot-at-fla-church#.TzirL7fOaw0.link

Last edited:
The incident was in Florida.
Whether a state mandates it or not ultimately we should all work on eliminating the "testosterone poisoning" ( as a female student that I had in class Fri. called it) that some men get when around firearms.

Education is the best way to fight ignorance. If those who are "helping" others would do some research & at least make certain they know & can demonstrate the most basic safety rules & techniques would be a great start.

It is sad the level of sheer ignorence there is with many gun owners. Completely irresponsable. Some people figure being able to buy one and own it makes them an expert in using it and teaching others their bad habits...

I know I've seen a lot of threads discussing whether or not we should be required to take training before getting a license, but what ever happened to parents and grandparent teaching the basics of firearms handling? My dad taught me. I'm sure a lot of others on here were taught in the same way. I'm pretty young, and I've already begun teaching my 3 yr old daughter. Granted, she isn't old enough to start handling a gun, but every time she sees me with one I try to explain some things to her, such as always treating a gun like it's loaded even if you know it isn't.

No amount of training will compensate for stupidity.

My dad always reinforced the fact that most accidental shootings are from an "unloaded" gun since I was a child. For the amount of guns in circulation the total number of AD's are low but just one is too much.

I agree if you have no training or minimal training no reason not to set yourself up for success. Every gun I bought since the 1980’s with papers have the basic safe gun handling rules in the owner’s manual. Following them however is another issue when you start considering the total amount of gun owners.

Even trained men have had AD's and will continue to do so until the human factor is removed. I am an advocate of good training. Winners train until they get it right, professionals train until they can't get it wrong.

Firearms training is mandated by Florida law before you obtain a CCW. http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/790.06

Read my first line in my first reply.

Government mandated firearms training did not prevent this AD nor will it in the future. The concern I have about mandating training for any civil right is when it fails the knee jerk bureaucratic response will be to make a 4 hour class, 8 hours, then an 8 hour class 3 days, then a 3 day class a week. It could easily become a burden and deterrent.

Can't tell you the full rules, but mine are treat every gun as if its loaded (how I keep mine), before handling make sure magazine is out, and no ammunition in chamber, never point my gun at anything I don't plan on destroying or killing, and finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

Firearms training is mandated by Florida law before you obtain a CCW. http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/790.06

Government mandated firearms training did not prevent this AD nor will it in the future. The concern I have about mandating training for any civil right is when it fails the knee jerk bureaucratic response will be to make a 4 hour class, 8 hours, then an 8 hour class 3 days, then a 3 day class a week. It could easily become a burden and deterrent.
doesn't matter about mandated training, you can't teach common sense. With common sense, you remove accidents with firearms. There's a chance you DONT come back from gun related injuries, which is why I preach safety.

Are you seriously saying that just because this AD discharge wan't prevented, that training could in no way prevent another, or make a shooter safer. I have never attended a formal firearms safety training class, but it was beaten into my head by my father. Those obtaining a ccw, without the benefit of parental guidance, could greatly benefit. It is impossible to quantify, as humans are not very good at keeping statistics on events that didn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom