• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

another snake ID thread.

Along with the coral snakee, the Hog-nosed snake or Spreading Adder is another rear-fang snake that is venomous (mild venom) and has round pupils.

Isn't it true that the hog nose isn't actually venemous? I've heard they just have something in their saliva that can cause a reaction. Not sure how true that is though. Maybe some of the the others can comment on that.

Along with the coral snakee, the Hog-nosed snake or Spreading Adder is another rear-fang snake that is venomous (mild venom) and has round pupils.
hog nosed snakes saliva is dangerous to its small prey, not to people (might cause irritation)

there is debate over whether or not they should be classified as venomous for this reason (unlike their relative the boomslang). only reason i know this is my herpetologist buddy is constantly waging a personal war against the scientific community on the nomenclature and categorizing.

he lost his ****ing **** when they included aves (birds) in the reptilia phylum (collapsing what use to be a more separate group)

Most people do not even consider hog nosed snakes as "venomous". They do not have venom glands but their saliva itself is a mild sedative to small animals. They don't bite in defense either. They normally flatten out and hiss then play dead.

True, it's not meant for defense. They possess the "venom" for immobilizing frogs before injesting and has little to no effect on humans. Kind of comparable to a bee sting.

Last edited:
Most people do not even consider hog nosed snakes as "venomous". They do not have venom glands but their saliva itself is a mild sedative to small animals. They don't bite in defense either. They normally flatten out and hiss then play dead.

Yea, they do a lot of head butting too. It appears as if they are trying to bite, but they usually don't open their mouth. Just a head butt to scare as a self defense tactic. Basically just putting on a big show. They're pretty cool little snakes. I almost bought one as a pet, but then decided I'm just not a snake person lol.

Yeah he was striking like a wild man and flaring his head, his head would almost flatten out.

Everybody at the shop is convinced he's a poisonous rattle copper cotton mocasin.
lol ery'body is an expert. im not by any means but that is why the internet exists to give someone false confidence in an answer (i recommend not getting bit to find out if it is truly venomous or not!)

Yea, they do a lot of head butting too. It appears as if they are trying to bite, but they usually don't open their mouth. Just a head butt to scare as a self defense tactic. Basically just putting on a big show. They're pretty cool little snakes. I almost bought one as a pet, but then decided I'm just not a snake person lol.
gotta be careful on this

DNR will come after you if they find out you are owning indigenous species to the area (aka i think you can own one but you have to have some way of proving it wasnt caught in GA)

gotta be careful on this

DNR will come after you if they find out you are owning indigenous species to the area (aka i think you can own one but you have to have some way of proving it wasnt caught in GA)

Well there are only certain ones that are native to GA. In most cases it wouldn't be difficult to prove that it wasn't caught here. Most of the time the mere color of it will prove that. You can also just keep your papers from the dealer you bought it from. They sell them at Repticon every show. Other than the Ball Python (and now seemingly the Kenyan Sand Boa) it is becoming a very popular snake for a pet because they stay relatively small...like within a foot, I think. And apparently they bite very infrequently.

Back
Top Bottom