• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another snake killed on the property

Took a ride up to the hunting club today to do some scouting and killed this big ol snake riding the quad up the mountain. Didn't get to scout today because it started to poor on me. I did get to shoot something with my judge thoughView attachment 502900

Why was the snake riding a quad up the mountain ?

imagesOU10NTHB.jpg
ODT viper

I've been wearing snake boots where we hunt at ever since my brother got hit a couple years ago. It was a very small viper and he didn't have to get medical attention. Fangs just barely made it thru his tennis show and left tiny marks on his ankle, did bleed a little but no venom. I figured that $150 for boots is a lot cheaper than co-pay from the hospital. Just for the record, I would have killed the rattler also. I have moved several big king snakes out of harms way down where we hunt so they could continue to hunt. Knowing what kind of snake you are looking at helps both you and the snake determine its fate.

If you understood their place in nature, you would want them all to live. And...I've had several buddies bitten by venomous snakes. Nether they nor I want them to die. Why? In each case it was handling errors that could have/should have been avoided...clearly not the animal's fault.
It could have been avoided if they shot the sob before handling it.:boink:

If given the opportunity, I will shoot every rattlesnake I see on my property. All others get a pass. I have two dogs and two kids that sure don't need to get bit. And no, I don't eat them, but they sure look pretty all skinned out and tacked onto a piece of rough sawn cedar.

Back
Top Bottom