• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Automotive Sound Experts out there ??

canut

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
13   0
Reaction score
I have a 29 year old 1994 Camaro Z28 in show condition and I want to keep the stock sound system authentic . It has a Delco Bose head unit setup that uses an individual amplifier in each of the six speakers. So each speaker is one assembly that includes a built in amp and speaker that is supplied +12/gnd power and low current audio from the head unit.. I have a bad amp in one door speaker and the assemblies are no longer available, or locatable locally or nationally. What I was thinking was to purchase a small 12 volt amp that will accept the head unit audio and then feed the output to an basic 6.75 4-8 ohm inch door speaker. Has any one other ideas or maybe what type of amp I should look for. Both Crutchfield and Newegg want to sell me a total new system and replace everything, and I do not want a 29 year old show car with a new fancy audio setup.

I have a 29 year old 1994 Camaro Z28 in show condition and I want to keep the stock sound system authentic . It has a Delco Bose head unit setup that uses an individual amplifier in each of the six speakers. So each speaker is one assembly that includes a built in amp and speaker that is supplied +12/gnd power and low current audio from the head unit.. I have a bad amp in one door speaker and the assemblies are no longer available, or locatable locally or nationally. What I was thinking was to purchase a small 12 volt amp that will accept the head unit audio and then feed the output to an basic 6.75 4-8 ohm inch door speaker. Has any one other ideas or maybe what type of amp I should look for. Both Crutchfield and Newegg want to sell me a total new system and replace everything, and I do not want a 29 year old show car with a new fancy audio setup.

If you're not worried about keeping it original, you're on the right track. You would want to at least do them in pairs, so they sounded the same on both sides. There should be an adapter harness available to get the low level outs from the head unit without chopping up the factory harness. You'd still need to fish appropriate wire from the amp through into the doors.

You might also find small enough mono amps to locate them in the doors (not my first choice) and use the existing wiring.

My advice is to call Crutchfield. They are truly the experts in car audio and can advise you on exactly what you need.
The other option is to see if someone rebuilds the amps. If you go that route, get all of them done at once. If one goes bad, the others are going to follow.

You might also find small enough mono amps to locate them in the doors (not my first choice) and use the existing wiring.
That may be an option, the 12 v power and low power audio is already in the door, the audio +/- wires are small gauge , so a mono amp in the door would save having to run larger wires if the amp was in the dash area.

My advice is to call Crutchfield.
Tried them and was advised their solution for my vehicle was a new head unit and all speakers, Which would also entail running all new speaker wires as current wires are low power shielded pre amp gauge.

Oh, THAT kind of automotive "sound"???

I thought you needed help with the kind of sounds indicated on this sign.

DFC06DCA-9784-4660-9E92-08A9DEBD87C3.jpeg

That may be an option, the 12 v power and low power audio is already in the door, the audio +/- wires are small gauge , so a mono amp in the door would save having to run larger wires if the amp was in the dash area.

Tried them and was advised their solution for my vehicle was a new head unit and all speakers, Which would also entail running all new speaker wires as current wires are low power shielded pre amp gauge.

Something like this might work. Looks like you'd get about 20-25W into a 4ohm load with 12Vish input power. Might need to check what the fuse is on the amp power feeds into the doors to make sure the wires are good for that many amps.

Lots of things out there nowadays, some will be raw circuit boards; that you'd need to sleeve with heat shrink.

Your head unit already outputs low level power. All you need is an amplifier that takes low level inputs, which is pretty much all of them. Any "line in" amp will do.

You will likely have to cut your stereo output lines and solder them to RCA male patch chords to plug into the amp. One patch chord will get you two male plugs.

If you can find a spot behind the dash for the amp you can feed it +12v and ground, then the amp turn on lead can be powered off of the power antenna output, or even the "Accessory" spot in the fuse box, but then the amp will be on whenever the car's on.

You will have to run new wires to the speakers, but if done right it will still look factory.

This one is half the power but is completely sealed. Might be a better fit in door. Harvest the connector from the dead speaker/amp and you won't have cut the factory door harness.

Back
Top Bottom