• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any IT folks here? We have nearly 800MBPS to the house but in the house the wireless is much slower

I'm typing this on an older laptop with a Wifi 5 wireless interface. I'm about 8' from an access point (AX10 router, if I remember correctly), which is behind the door of a TV console. Connected to the 5 Ghz network channel. I'm getting 224Mbs down, and 170Mbps up. This laptop can't do much better, unless I plugin an ethernet cable, and then I'll get close to 1Gbps.

Wifi routers and receivers have different channels. Try changing the channel on the router to 1, 11 or 6. If it is already using one of those then change it to one of the other channels and try a speed test. It's like a CB radio - other wifi routers in the area are also using the same channels and can cause interference. In the real world 1 gb wireless speeds are rare. Try connecting to your router by cat 5 cable and see what speeds you get. I bet it's much higher.
I too have gigabit internet and was only seeing 200-300 mb/s speeds on my laptop (wireless). I changed my 5G WiFi channel to a less busy/commonly used one in my area and boosted wireless speed to about 750 mb/s.
Note: My channel was in the mid-100's

I'm typing this on an older laptop with a Wifi 5 wireless interface. I'm about 8' from an access point (AX10 router, if I remember correctly), which is behind the door of a TV console. Connected to the 5 Ghz network channel. I'm getting 224Mbs down, and 170Mbps up. This laptop can't do much better, unless I plugin an ethernet cable, and then I'll get close to 1Gbps.

Same here. But my kids desktop that sits right next to the router and is hardwired screams. He hits 800 + most of the time.

Thumbs up for the mesh routers. I use an Euro mesh setup in a brick 3-story townhouse and get great reception everywhere. The Euro 6 is good if you have devices that can take advantage of WiFi v6 speeds.

The old single point WiFi routers are pretty useless unless you have one gig flat place to get signal to.

Plumbing in my house is SCH 40 PVC and runs through the attic.
Kingsland GA only offers two choices for internet. Either Hargray cable modem or TDS fiber. We just changed from Hargray to TDS after finding out we can get one price for life 1gig at $62 month. Hargray 100MBPS is $70 a month.

Cabling for our service is fiber from the road to my house to a box that has a CAT5 cable plugged in and runs into my attic and down the wall to my router. Speed at the CAT5 that plugs into the router is 700MBPS to 800MBPS.

I pay for 500mb from Spectrum fiber. I was gonna get the 1 gig service but my installer talked me out of it lol. He said their 1 gig level of service really provides closer to 700mb and the 500mb service provided a true 500mb signal…maybe even 550-600.
Got a NETGEAR nighthawk mesh system…get 100-500 mb on all three levels of my large house, including decks. My son plays Call of duty in the apartment over the detached garage…don’t know how he gets enough signal.

Starlink is everywhere and (Unlimited?) Thinking about going with it? Xfinity has gotten terrible. But I’m in a different situation, having 2 grown daughters that might stay till we die? And a grandson that run’s a iPad off & on all day/night.

Back
Top Bottom