Any of y’all been your own GC on your house build?

Interest rates are absolutely insane right now
Buying a $650k house which is a decent at best house in bartow county
Putting down $526k or nearly 80% and your mortgage is still $1800 a month
How the **** is this even real?

Attachments

• IMG_0308.png
    IMG_0308.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 50
Would probably take a whole hell of a lot longer time frame is what your saying?

Our build in 2020 took one year, basic.
slab house 2760 feet

I think we can sell it and pocket about 500k cash

I want to be debt free on the next one, do you think it’s possible?

Just hard to coordinate multiple trades regardless. Especially if you have a poor team. One no show screws up a schedule and ruins the other subs' profits.

You know, the Thing.

images

Was a GC, project manager, superintendent for over 30 years. I was paid for what I know not for what I did. I’m sure you could be the General on your on build. Hope your marriage is strong and you have plenty of time to devote to the job cause you’ll have to eat breath and sleep it. The last phase of the build will make you pull year hair out. Good luck on punch and finals. Oh… gotta give yourself a years warranty too. I’m sure since you went thru a build not too long ago you’re familiar with all that though.
It can be done! Good luck.

I have a good friend who is trying to buy a new home with his new bride. They’re currently in an apartment pissing away money. On their budget though they can barely afford anything that isn’t a trashy run down meth house. If this were a few years earlier they could have been in a brand new 2500sq/ft home. It’s unreal.

**** Biden.

As far as the question, my dad was the GC on mine and his houses back when we built them. He was a GC many years ago. I was there all during the whole process too. It seemed like the key was knowing who to call and knowing when to call them. If it’s not something you do generally, I would plan each step of the build out prior to starting and know who you’re going to call and at what point in the build it is that you’re going to call them. Also, make sure whoever is working on the house has all the materials they need to stay busy EVERY DAY. We both worked night shift, but we were both at the building sites each morning and afternoon making sure work was getting done. Also, KNOW YOUR BUILDING CODE. Part of being the GC is making sure the house is built safely and passes inspections. You’re the one living in it, so make sure it’s done right. I know every square inch of my house inside and out. After being the second in coordinating the build I am more attached to this house than the first house my wife and I bought. She got to pick out every detail of it too with some restraint based on my input lol I’m very glad we were involved in the build for sure.

We are putting our house on the market this month and thinking about rebuilding

We have the land picked out

Any of y’all been your own GC ?
How hard was it?
Do you regret it?
What’s your thoughts on building in 2023?

Seems like our old gc didn’t do a damn thing and probably made 50 grand

I have a ton of contacts for electrical , plumbing, hvac , flooring, etc .

Going to try to pay cash for the whole build

If your guy made $50k, he probably saved you $75k. Built my first house myself and made stupid mistakes, built houses for a while, so I know what I am doing and am still a contractor and real estate agent to this day, if I was about to build a house,I would hire a home builder.

Back
Top Bottom