• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Tesla or Electric car owners here?

Another question for the all electric crowd-

What about all those folks in apartments? Going to run a charging station to every parking space?

My house has 2 cars in the garage, 2 outside. Where to charge?

My friends apartment complex in the city has several chargers and they are free but you do have some a-holes that leave their cars on the charger after they are already fully charged. This will be a bigger problem as more people get EVs but that is why there is an "idle" fee after a grace period when the car stops charging. If you look on some of the apps some people complain about the "sitting idle fee" that companies charge but that helps keep chargers open.

We purchased a Tesla Model Y on Christmas eve it's the slow one 0-60 in 4.8 seconds (the small suv/crossover) already put 4,700 miles on it so far our longest trip has been to PCB. Most years I average around 28K a year with a daily commute of 100 miles round trip plus 10-20 trips to remote offices across the SE. I charge at home every night and on my 100 mile commute I use 42% of the battery daily driving 80-85 most of my commute, recharge time is 4-5 hrs every night using a 220 outlet at 32 amps. Tesla claims it will do 326 miles per charge but that is based on 60 mph similar to how the car stickers say a car will get 35 mpg, the actual mileage depends on how fast you drive and how much hvac you use the actual number is closer to 250 miles. It's nice in the mornings the car is charged and heated up and ready to go at my scheduled departure time.

For road trips you want to charge at Tesla super chargers which are the fastest charger for Tesla's and will typically take 20-30 minutes Tesla does charge you for the electricity. A lot of the chargers you see around town are slower chargers similar to charging at home some are free others charge you. A lot of the hotels I stay at have free chargers onsite and are free to use.

If your interested in seeing what it takes to do a road trip take a look at abetterrouteplanner.com it will show you where you need to stop and for how long. You don't have to charge to 100% just enough to reach your destination or the next super charger on a lot of my trips my stops will be 5 - 15 minutes.

I don’t plug mine in too much...

494F67C3-EFB0-4B48-A54F-4A84414E2AB3.png

Back
Top Bottom