• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any welders around? I have a career question.

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
505   0
Reaction score
My son is a senior in high school and has taken several welding classes over the last few years. We just found out that there is a Welding program at Georgia Highlands College that looks interesting. It is about 15 mins away from home and he can take the classes in the evening after school. My concern is would this type of class/program actually do any good if he is just trying to get started in a welding career? Our plan was to enroll in a local votech program that lasts a few years and costs a little more. Are these SENSE and NWCA certs of any value when applying for an entry position in this field?

The class would provide level 1 of SENSE certification. It is the American Welding Society (AWS) Schools Excelling through National Skill Standards Education (SENSE) Level 1 and National Workforce Career Association (NWCA) Welding Technician Certification. After the course is completed, there is also an opportunity for the students take an externship with a local employer (optional).

Send him to the local 72 once he turns 18. He will do school for half the time and classroom for the other half. The pay is low at first but the experience and real world knowledge will far exceed what he will learn at the college IMO.

By time he’s 21 he will be done with his apprenticeship, will have all the certifications he could possibly want and will have the opportunity to make 6 figures by time he’s 25, if he’s willing to travel while he’s still young and single he can make even more.

I’m not a welder (hobby welder) but the ones I knew make good money especially the traveling welders and it’s a wide open career field. Pick the jobs they want and you can run your own business if you choose.

Send him to the local 72 once he turns 18. He will do school for half the time and classroom for the other half. The pay is low at first but the experience and real world knowledge will far exceed what he will learn at the college IMO.

By time he’s 21 he will be done with his apprenticeship, will have all the certifications he could possibly want and will have the opportunity to make 6 figures by time he’s 25, if he’s willing to travel while he’s still young and single he can make even more.

Where is/What is Local 72?

OP, look at both websites.

I went through the apprenticeship, but I can’t remember if someone new signs up at the school or the hall first.

There’s probably a lot of information on the websites on how to get started.

Back
Top Bottom