• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ANybody have a trick ?

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
I have 3 AR build projects going and have been dragging my feet on the next step. I have always had issues with installing that tiny freeking pin for the gas block. My fat fingers , small pin, small hole just dont mix. I drop and lose pins, I smack my fingers , I continuously cuss. I tried channel locks, vise lock, pin pushers, taping things , pin starter tools all to no avail. I usually luck out and finally get the pin installed. Anybody have any tricks that makes this task a little more pleasant?

If you take a pair of needle nose vise grips and slightly crush maybe the first 1/16 of the pin it will align itself and makes sending it home much easier.

I use either of the two ways I do the roll pin.

1. I hold the pin with a pair of Hemostats and use a small brass homemade hammer.

2. I made a tool from a small hitch pin I got from a hardware store that is the same size as the front pivot pin.
It has hole down the shaft of the pin and I use the pin to put in the spring and detent pin for the pivot pin.
I drilled a shallow hole in the end of the hitch pin to use on all the roll pins. It is great for holding the roll pins in place.

The hitch pin is also called a clevis pin, i believe.

Wow senility has set in on me. I last built an AR over a year ago. Same issue at that time so I ordered those tools from Brownells and even a gas block pusher stick. Just as I read your post the light bulb came on. I now have a little "AR" tool drawer :p

Hah hah hah! I feel you....

Back
Top Bottom