• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

anybody know where I can find a good deal on my first AR?

As far as dust covers and forward assists go, those aren't really needed unless you're slogging through the desert.. In which case your gun is gonna jam up anyway.

I can't attest to the quality other than the mixed reviews I've read, but Palmetto State Armory has some nice ones for around the $600 mark. Also, if you'll watch the Classifieds here you should be able to snag up a deal.

I was very impressed with the quality of my PSA upper. I believe that there is a deal on slickguns.com for a complete rifle for $750. Also, I've seen them for $650 with lesser accessories. Blows my $600 dpms oracle out of the water. IMO, PSA is the best value going right now if you don't want to exceed $800.

Would those be parts that I could add on later? Or would I have to buy a whole new upper or lower? Thanks for the advice. I may look into one of those. I can probably spend the $850 but I'm not real sure. The M&P sport would be better for me as far as price, but if it won't perform as well as others then I would rather come up with the extra $

I believe you should be able to add a dustcover to a sport model with no issue, I haven't ever owned one so I am not 100% sure, there is no way to add a foward assist. You really don't need either one the dust cover is nice to have and if the bolt don't fully close you can use your thumb on the indent in the carrier to push it close.

As far as dust covers and forward assists go, those aren't really needed unless you're slogging through the desert.. In which case your gun is gonna jam up anyway.

Have you ever actually humped one in the desert? With proper maintence a AR isn't gonna jam automatically just because you are in the desert.

I believe you should be able to add a dustcover to a sport model with no issue, I haven't ever owned one so I am not 100% sure, there is no way to add a foward assist. You really don't need either one the dust cover is nice to have and if the bolt don't fully close you can use your thumb on the indent in the carrier to push it close.

Does it have the holes/slots for the dust cover pin? I haven't looked at that particular upper in a while but I don't remember it having them? Also I've heard that using the forward assist is not advised, but that's all hearsay and rumors. I've never used mine personally.

Sporting Arms in Winterville, GA had 10 PSA AR-15's earlier this week, the way he prices them those might all be gone but it wouldn't hurt to check. He usually has them priced around $700.

I built three from PSA using their stripped lowers and rifle kits. Built all three of them for less than $600 apiece minus rear sights and mags. I have been more than pleased with them.

Barrow automotive in Butler GA has the Smiths at a decent price. Also had bushmaster carbon 15 for $649. It comes with a not so bad bushmaster red dot sight, multi position stock. Its a 16 in. barrel, really light and a blast to shoot. I got two of em the other day. Oh yeah, they do have dust covers and forward assist.

Go to Walmart

This.... Or keep your eyes peeled on here. I've seen bushmasters lately going for what your wanting to spend. Some people don't like them but mine has never given me a bit of trouble.
Also, I know it sucks hearing this but saving up a little more cash and getting a better built AR ( with the dust cover and FA) will prolly make you happier in the long run.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom