• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody looked into storing cooking oil?

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
What are the best kinds for storage? Any types to stay away from? I have heard good things about storing olive oil (3-4 years at moderate temp) but it is pretty pricey. Other people have said to stay away from the lighter oils like sunflower and to go for standard vegetable or canola oils, which will store for 2 years or so. Also, sealed metal cans of Crisco seem like a good bet, except that it is not something we normally cook with so we wouldnt really rotate the stocks of it ever. I would rather store oil, since we use it regularly and I could rotate out the older stuff.

Anybody else looked into this and found a "magic" oil that stores for 5+ years?

unopened Crisco will last for years. While its not the best for you, consider it to be useable in other ways when SHTF. Lubricant, lamp oil, exc.

We've been going the olive oil route, but were told to stick with glass containers and keep it in a dark, cool/cold location. We have plastic and glass, and I'm not sure of the reason for avoiding plastic just yet. Could just be an old wives tale. I've noticed glass containers seem to be much better sealed.

My basement hovers around 72-74 degrees in the summer, but I'd love to put in an insulated cold storage room that keeps stuff in the 40-50 degree range.

Crisco - yep - we have that too and it's well known for long term storage. Seems to last forever. Not exactly health food. Ours is just for contingencies.

Don't forget canned butter. Seems to be a great long term storage option. Peanut oil may be an option as well.

We have stored crisco for several years and have rotated canola oil out for a couple years as well ....... coconut oils store well long term from what I hear ,but we have not tried it ...

Hello Gang,
Since I am in the long term food business, I will share the knowledge.
#1 Coconut oil is the best for long term storage. Its molecular makeup is very unique.
#2 If you can't afford coconut oil, buy a preservative called BHT. You can buy it in capsule form. Add it to your olive/vegetable oil and it greatly extends the shelf life by years!!! BHT can also be added to your gasoline to extend the life, so you can have more uses out of it if you buy a bottle.
www.foodsurvivalstore.com

Hello Gang,
Since I am in the long term food business, I will share the knowledge.
#1 Coconut oil is the best for long term storage. Its molecular makeup is very unique.
#2 If you can't afford coconut oil, buy a preservative called BHT. You can buy it in capsule form. Add it to your olive/vegetable oil and it greatly extends the shelf life by years!!! BHT can also be added to your gasoline to extend the life, so you can have more uses out of it if you buy a bottle.
www.foodsurvivalstore.com

DO NOT TAKE BHT

BHA and BHT

Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) are used similarly to propyl gallate -- to keep fats and oils from going rancid. Used commonly in cereals, chewing gum, vegetable oil and potato chips (and also in some food packaging to preserve freshness), these additives have been found by some studies to cause cancer in rats. If a brand you commonly buy uses these additives, look for a different variety, as not all manufacturers use these preservatives.

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/...-additives-you-really-need-to-be-aware-of.htm

DO NOT TAKE BHT

The oxidative characteristics and/or metabolites of BHA and BHT may contribute to carcinogenicity or tumorigenicity; however the same reactions may combat oxidative stress. There is evidence that certain persons may have difficulty metabolizing BHA and BHT, resulting in health and behavior changes.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/foodcookingchemistry/a/bha-bht-preservatives.htm

Good points Bioshock. We have Crisco, olive oil, and canola oil in our long term supply. We make it a point to use and replace as needed so the supply stays fresh. May not be the best solution for those of you who want to purchase and forget about it but it works for us.

Back
Top Bottom