• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever hunt Sapelo island quota hunt?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
Just in case me and my buddies get picked for the lottery down there I'd like to know if anyone has any first hand experience on what exactly to bring gear wise and what to expect down there?

I know the biggest deer down there may top out at 90# but that's fine I just like the hunt.

I'm no stranger to camping and don't need to eat much.
Don't care to drink alcohol or smoke so none of that is a concern and I'm can pretty much rough it with basic necessities but could use some pointers.

Everything goes over on the ferry...I went on that hunt about 10 or 12 years ago and hunted the plots near the old air strip. The deer bed down out in the old air strip at night so if you choose that location be sure not to walk across air strip walk around it. Set up in the trees between the marsh and the the air strip and you will probably see some action.

We brought way to much stuff so pack light. Are you bow hunting?

It is a good hunt.

Everything goes over on the ferry...I went on that hunt about 10 or 12 years ago and hunted the plots near the old air strip. The deer bed down out in the old air strip at night so if you choose that location be sure not to walk across air strip walk around it. Set up in the trees between the marsh and the the air strip and you will probably see some action.

We brought way to much stuff so pack light. Are you bow hunting?

It is a good hunt.

Bow or muzzleloader.

Just in case me and my buddies get picked for the lottery down there I'd like to know if anyone has any first hand experience on what exactly to bring gear wise and what to expect down there?

I know the biggest deer down there may top out at 90# but that's fine I just like the hunt.

I'm no stranger to camping and don't need to eat much.
Don't care to drink alcohol or smoke so none of that is a concern and I'm can pretty much rough it with basic necessities but could use some pointers.

This is what we did on our last Island hunt (Ossabaw)
Use a rolling trash can to transport your gear. It makes it very easy to go up/down to the boat during the ferry across. It will also serve to protect your dry goods/food from scavengers. Thermacells are a must. A large tarp to protect your tent from wind and/or rain. Be sure to set up camp as far inland as possible. Gnats are worse nearer to the water. We cooked our food at home (i.e. beef tips and rice with gravy, stuff like that) and sealed/froze it in food saver bags. Cooking dinner was a matter of boiling a pot of water. We ate cereal for breakfast, sandwiches in the woods for lunch since we stayed out all day. We kept food prep and cleanup to a minimum at dinner. Gave us more time to relax. We left portable stands at home and just eased around and stopped periodically since we had assigned areas. Saw lots of deer and hogs that way. The marsh is a good place to watch at low tide as the clams are a food source to the hogs. That and it seems that a lot of animals go to the marshes or the thickest saw palmettos that you can find once the pressure gets to them. Big holes around the marsh edges are usually occupied by gators. Oh, wear snake boots too. I'm sure Sapelo has some big rattlers as well. Ossabaw sure does!
I hope that some of this info helps. Good luck getting drawn.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Yeah I hope to go down there.

The trash can on wheels is a great idea!

Looks like I'm gonna have to get myself a pair of snake boots.....anyone have a recommendation on a comfortable pair that will hold together?
Will hit them with waterproofing spray if they're not the best in waterproofing.

How about coolers and ice?......any recommendations?

you can not put anything on the Sapelo Ferry that has wheels.Never seen a snake been there 4 times.You have to carry everything you need,Ice is available from the locals but it cost.DNR has a cooler for deer and hogs.Good luck.Look for new cut when you ride in on the trailer and ask rangers if there is any.Deer move ALL day when the hunts start they know what the trailer noise is.

OK scratch that idea. Why do they not allow that?

They haul kids to school and back and it creates a danger by sliding on the deck in rough seas.One way we got around it was to get a threaded rod and take the wheels off and load then put em back on after you unload at dock.each person is allowed a 48 qt cooler or a 100 qt for 2.Ossabaw you will need to get a ride from someone at Kilkinney Marina and the rules are different,take what you want but you will carry it.

That makes sense. The large, Military issue ruck sacks would be a good way to carry a lot of gear....taking the wheels off of the trash cans is a really good idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom