Anyone getting ready for Primitive/Black Powder Deer season yet?

I bought a new CVA Optima V2 Nitride .50 last year and never even loaded it. Hopefully I will get to use it this year. Its replaceing my CVA Optima Elite in .45

T/C Omega stainless with matching Omega scope from Nikon. T/C 250 grain sabots in front of 150 grains Triple 7. Gives me 2-2 and 1/2 groups at 100 yards all day long. Usually only fire 5-6 shots at the most for sight in.

I am super excited for Black Powder season to open up. After doing a lot of research and planning I will be attempting this year to take a deer with my Ruger old army. I took it to the range this past weekend was working on potential loads,testing the accuracy out to 50yds..I was extremely impressed with it's average 2inch groups. Can't wait

I am super excited for Black Powder season to open up. After doing a lot of research and planning I will be attempting this year to take a deer with my Ruger old army. I took it to the range this past weekend was working on potential loads,testing the accuracy out to 50yds..I was extremely impressed with it's average 2inch groups. Can't wait

You are going to hunt with a BP revolver as your primary?
I considered this myself for several years, but never did.
How are you going to load it?

I don't think it's a legal firearm for primitive weapons season. The rules explicitly state "any muzzleloading firearm," and a black powder revolver is not that. I called DNR in Social Circle a number of years ago to clarify the issue and got a somewhat unresponsive answer: The ranger answered my question by verbally repeated the written rule. I took it as a "no."

There are many pitted bores out there for sale, from beginners and folks who aren't disciplined about cleaning. Also, if I hunt Saturday, come back from the woods without firing, I just take the primer out and leave the BH209 and projectile in place, ready for Sunday. I wouldn't do that with traditional black powder or other substitutes, even if I lived in the desert.

Absolutely untrue, in my experience. BH209 is the cleanest propellant I've ever shot in my muzzleloaders, and nothing else comes close. It doesn't foul the barrel, no matter what the charge is. I've had long bench sessions with many shots, including cast lead and paper patched, and never needed to swab the bore. BH209 is like shooting a smokeless powder...because that's pretty much what it is. It's easy, accurate, and it works. Only loading trick required is using the right 209 primers.

That's good to know. I've never used the stuff. I've never had issues with the 777.

35gr. By volume of 777 under Lee's 220 gr. Conical., but I want a little more range time before then.

That sounds like a good load, but I'm with rbstern on this one.
It is not a muzzle loading firearm.
It is not included in the legal guns to hunt with if it's not a "Muzzle" loaded firearm.
That is one of several reasons I didn't try it.

If you decide to go the route and do ask for clarification before going, I'd like to know what you're told.

Thanks!

I understand it isn't loaded at the muzzle, but neither is it a contemporary firearm. I seems counterintuitive that it be prohibited , but there are so many who LOVE technicalities..

I can't find anywhere it states that it is prohibited. Can you guys post a link?

IF I do get a concrete 'no' on it's use in BP season..guess what I'll be doing on the opening day of firearms..:cool:..Thanks guys

I understand it isn't loaded at the muzzle, but neither is it a contemporary firearm. I seems counterintuitive that it be prohibited , but there are so many who LOVE technicalities..

I can't find anywhere it states that it is prohibited. Can you guys post a link?

IF I do get a concrete 'no' on it's use in BP season..guess what I'll be doing on the opening day of firearms..:cool:..Thanks guys

There's no list of prohibited guns that I've ever seen, just "legal" guns.

Yes I'm sure they bounced the wording in the regulations around a while and might even have had a lawyer involved. (Likely)

But the way it's written right now and I read it today, it's not a legal gun to hunt deer or bear with during any season. (Technically) (and you know they're all about technicalities)

If you do ask and get an ok from somebody, make damn sure you get his name, just in case.

I want to be clear, I'm not trying to talk you out of hunting with it. It sounds like you're more than accurate enough and the load sounds good and heavy, like it'll do the job humanely.

You've already put some time and thought into it, but because they know there's yahoo's out there that aren't like you, is why they probably don't allow it.

Good luck, like I said earlier, I'm interested. Let me know if you ever get a ruling on it, I've been wondering about it for years.

See 30 or 40 years ago when you went on a BP hunt on the WMA's in GA. you weren't allowed to even have a center fire in your vehicle. I got in a sticky situation one time and started carrying a BP revolver with me after that. More than once I had the opportunity to shoot a deer with it and didn't......

It would be very challenging and I like a challenge, even if it means I lose an opportunity to take a deer I could have taken with the rifle. Stay in touch.

Back
Top Bottom