• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone here an FFL Dealer from home??

Get a business license from your city/county. Request an application from the ATF, follow the directions carefully, you'll need to get fingerprint cards and a passport type picture. Send in the application, wait a few weeks for interview with field agent, don't be scared their job is to help you. After interview wait for license to come in the mail. It's that easy.

The interview is mostly them making sure you understand how to fill out the 4473 and make entries and depositions in your log book. Also they want to make sure you intend to run a business and not just using the license as a hobby.

I know a few sales reps in the gun industry that have their own FFL's. Mainly it was convenience for them to be able to ship and receive samples without having to do it thru dealers. I talked to a few of them about getting one for myself but they basically all said it's not worth the hassle and costs these days and many had dropped their license. In the past it was worth the time and effort but none of them said it was worth it any more and they just do things thru dealer friends...

maybe not the same situation, but the hassle of doing it as a person vs. a retail shop might be related.

I went through the FFL process and got one but I had a brick and mortar. I did work for a home based FFL in high school and both processes are similar.

Never been an FFL so taking this from guess work, Dont FFLs have the ability to purchase direct from some manufactures? Dont they have a different pricing bracket for parts/guns? Arent they allowed to preorder merchandise before it hits shelves? A conversation I had with a gun store owner said he had trouble matching prices since some mail order stores are ran from peoples basements with no cost other than the firearm.
It may not be a huge profit but ordering 50 revolvers from smith might net a price break. You just need the extra cash and time to wait.

Only down side I see is a yearly fee. You can price people out of wanting to use you for transfers.

Back
Top Bottom