• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone here ever get a patent?

Patronus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
152   0
Reaction score
Back in about 1997-8 I was talking with a friend about guns(as usual), and we got to talking about laser sights. As we talked I was thinking about it and I told him "If I were to make a laser for a gun I would replace the spring guide with one so it didn't "bulk up" the gun, etc.." Needless to say, after the conversation it was a few years before I thought about it again...about the time I saw the Lazermax for the first time. I've kicked myself several times since then.

Well, Now I have several ideas, one of which is burning at me and I REALLY think it's time to stop THINKING and git-r-done.

Anyone ever patented anything or have any helpful input? Also is anyone a machinist? I will need to fabricate some parts and maybe discuss material questions.

I've always wondered how do you protect your idea from people you have to hire to do machining, creating molds, etc...from taking your idea to a competitor while you're developing your product? Have several different people fabricate different parts?

I think a legal Non-Disclosure agreement covers most of it. But you can also draw it out in fine detail, package it and mail it to yourself registered mail but do not open it. That time and date stamps it so that if someone attempts to steal your idea, you at least have the legal proof that it is your intellectual property. I've been reading the info on the USPTO website. ZZzzzzzzz..... Guess I better take some No-Doze.

From my limited experince. If you plan on fabricating the parts, you'll use multiple venders. Talk with your attorney and he will draw up a confidentiality agreements. Work closely with your attorney. The money you spend now will come back. Without sounding cheesy, Spend the dime to make the dollor. Most fabricaters are interested in long term contracts to make parts anyway. Good luck with your venture.

years ago, i made up a maglight with an on/off toggle switch at the handle for night play when i played paintball. along with a barrel to light clamp for the light. i drew it out with notes on a legal ledger and had it notorized and mailed to myself. i think they called it a poor man's patent. or something. anyway, that will do until you can get it patetened incase someone comes up with the same idea in the meantime. if they do, you have a chance at a percentage of the product sales if they get it first. btw, i was fortunate enough to work at a place where i could make the parts myself.

I guess I better start out with drawing it out. Anyone have a reccomendation on a good, easy to self teach CAD software at a decent price?

Contact a patent lawyer. They can help clear up what you should do. My brother invented a medical device and he said it was very expensive for the whole process. But now, he;s making a **** ton of money off of it...

Ugh..lawyers. Life gets expensive JUST to feed lawyers. Well, if I can get it to market you guys will ALL be my customers. Might make a nickel or two even after feeding a lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom