• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone Hunt Grouse in GA?

WinstonSmith

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Garthok Narfler
85   0
Reaction score
Had someone bring up grouse hunting in North GA. I have never hunted grouse and dont know anyone that has. Figured I'd ask if anyone does and start a discussion so I could learn from you folks. I've done the appropriate Google searches. First hand knowledge beats reading an article any day though.

I have, when I was younger I had a golden retriever with a nose for grouse.
We would get a couple every year hunting Dawson Forest city of Atlanta tract.
I'd miss a lot because the dog didn't point. He'd just get all birdy and take off on the track.
If I didn't hit them he would look at me like it was my fault! :becky:

Other grouse hunters I've met hunt steep terrain in the National Forest.
That's too much for me at my age!

I had my best luck in areas that were cut 4 or 5 years earlier, not in old timber.
I mostly worked the edges, since the middle was very difficult to walk in.

You gonna give it a go?

I've had a few scare the crap out of me deer hunting up there but never been full on grouse hunting. I'd say it'd be dang near impossible without a dog. Most of the time they'll let you walk by them before they fly up.

You're sure right about the dog!

They were pretty hard to see even with good vision ....

You're sure right about the dog!

They were pretty hard to see even with good vision ....
I know what you mean. Most of them I only see after they fly. Think I've only ever walked up on 1 that I could have actually shot but I felt like that 300 mag was probably overkill just a little bit.LOL:becky:

Thanks for the replies. I have a family member moving down from the midwest who likes to pheasant hunt. He said he will have to switch over to grouse hunting here in NGA. I have never talked with anyone who did such a thing. Sounds like fun but couldnt get much info on it actually being a thing here.

The only grouse I hunt...

bottle_grouse-mellow-gold.png

Back
Top Bottom