Anyone hunt with a 740/742/740? (760/7600?)

JHV2

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone hunts with a Remington 740/742 (or whatever came after), and what your opinions are.

I know they once were very popular and you see one regularly here, but I wonder about current thought. I have one in the safe that I was "given" to keep, but have never taken it into the woods. Taken it out to put a through rounds through and sign in, but never in "the show".

Don't take this the wrong way but I've never needed a fast reload. In fact I've only needed more than one shell a handful of times, and a lever/bolt is plenty fast enough to get the job done.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'd even like to hear from the 76x crowd.

I had a 7600 in 30-06, I loved it. I guess I'm old school, first shot is always going to be your best shot. I traded my 7600 for a bolt action. I have only shot more than one shot at a deer one time. I shot a deer and broke it's back, fired second shot so it wouldn't suffer. The 7600 was a popular gun where I hunted. I never had a problem with mine. It shot accurately and carried good. I was never a fan of detachable magazines and was taught from the beginning of my hunting training to only take high percentage shots. Never got into shooting at running deer or spray and pray at long distance. It's just like Ford versus Chevy, some people like semiautomatics some don't. The pumps were the same way, some just don't like bolt actions. I may try to get another 7600 in .270.

I started out with 742-30-06 and still have it.It's a great gun as long as you keep it clean.Gas system when not cleaned will jam and failure to feed.But never had problems with taking deer and the auto works well when multiple deer coming through.I also went to bolt action mainly for larger caliber and accuracy.

Yup, .308 auto, love it. The pump is an awesome rifle also. Accurate and good with routine cleaning. Remember, these are not "combat" rifles and they are not near as tough (or expensive!) as a BAR but for hunting where you need a quick follow-up shot or to they are excellent.

The carbine is especially good in heavy bush where that first shot hits a branch or something and you need a couple more once he is moving. I know that's the only reason any of us would ever miss... I also grew up in an area where the only shots you got sometimes were when the dogs ran them out of the pocosin and they were movin. Lots of folks had the 742 for that reason.

Had a 742.... never hunted with it.... but sold it to a friend of mine who hunts with it.... he seems to like it.... Just got to keep it clean...

I don't always hunt but when I do, I use a borrowed 742 (father-in-law's gun)
Not sure if it's ever been cleaned but has not been shot often either

I have a 760 in 30-06...its the rifle I hunt with 95% of the time. Accurate and fast follow up shots. Topped with a Bushnell 3x9 its a deadly piney woods deer killer.

Last season kills.
[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I'm a fan of the 760/7600's. Every one that I've owned has been very accurate. The barrel is free floated, the triggers are hunter friendly, and one with an 18.5" to 20" barrel is very handy in a stand.

My only complaint, many of the older one's I've owned rattled a bit. Kinda like a Mossberg shotgun. A 20" .308 7600 would make a fine deer rig.

Back
Top Bottom