Anyone know how many rounds it takes to break your recoil spring off the guide rod?

My department replaces all Gen 4 G17 and G19 at the 5000 round mark, which is the recommended interval per Glock USA.

!0,000 out of a recoil spring is way beyond the normal expected life. Did you notice a reduction in recoil impulse when you replaced the recoil spring? I am guessing...."Yes" to that one.

Edit To Add: I just read that you have not replaced the spring, so disregard the "Recoil Impulse" question.

My department replaces all Gen 4 G17 and G19 at the 5000 round mark, which is the recommended interval per Glock USA.

!0,000 out of a recoil spring is way beyond the normal expected life. Did you notice a reduction in recoil impulse when you replaced the recoil spring? I am guessing...."Yes" to that one.

Edit To Add: I just read that you have not replaced the spring, so disregard the "Recoil Impulse" question.

I will update when I do toss one in it. I am kind of sad to have to do it. I am so comfortable with this pistol and how it handles I don't want it to feel different. I feel the same way with my 3-gun AK my claim to fame with the two together was a Mozambique drill starting with my AK on the buzzer 2 to the chest 1 to the head sling my AK draw my pistol and 2 to the chest and 1 to the head in 3.42 seconds with credible witnesses. I am afraid of change when it comes to these two firearms.

I wouldn't worry over "changing" it. It's recommended, routine maintenance.

With the new spring you'll get reduced felt recoil, and less battering of main parts, so the whole pistol will last longer.

Doesn't sound like you're having any issues, but they could start to crop up. With a worn, weakened spring, the firearm is less reliable than with a spring within specs. With a weaker spring, the slide could be cycling faster than it is meant to, for one thing. This can cause malfunctions in several different ways.

I wouldn't worry over "changing" it. It's recommended, routine maintenance.

With the new spring you'll get reduced felt recoil, and less battering of main parts, so the whole pistol will last longer.

Doesn't sound like you're having any issues, but they could start to crop up. With a worn, weakened spring, the firearm is less reliable than with a spring within specs. With a weaker spring, the slide could be cycling faster than it is meant to, for one thing. This can cause malfunctions in several different ways.

Yeah I understand that but in my weak mind it will be a whole new gun.

I will update when I do toss one in it. I am kind of sad to have to do it. I am so comfortable with this pistol and how it handles I don't want it to feel different. I feel the same way with my 3-gun AK my claim to fame with the two together was a Mozambique drill starting with my AK on the buzzer 2 to the chest 1 to the head sling my AK draw my pistol and 2 to the chest and 1 to the head in 3.42 seconds with credible witnesses. I am afraid of change when it comes to these two firearms.
Well with a Mozambique drill time like that I can see why you would be reluctant to change anything! :thumb: Truthfully your performance has everything to do with your practiced skill set (which is really good!) and little to do with the recoil spring tension. Like cmshoot cmshoot said, I wouldn't worry about changing it too much until the gun starts to hiccup, even though the slide is battering the frame a more than it would with a fresh spring. It's a Glock....If it breaks the boys in Smyrna will fix it for free. But, I will add a new recoil spring = softer recoil impulse = quicker follow ups. Putting a new spring in might speed up your Mozambique time a tenth or two! .....:cool:

At any rate, good on you for breaking the recoil spring guide rod! I always feel a little bit of accomplishment when I put enough use in a gun to wear out a part......feels good don't it!

Back
Top Bottom