• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone know why Marlin doesn't put a full length mag tube on their 45/70s?

I have read about why the 45/70 was brought back and what Marlin wanted to achieve by bringing back the 45/70. The rifle was designed to be a tight quarters, bush gun, that was easy to handle, light enough to be carried on hunts, and quickly and efficiently, deliver five potent rounds. Extending the mag tube to allow for four more rounds, made, according to some, the rifle heavier, and did not achieve what Marlin wanted the 45/70 Guide Gun to be. I cannot find where Marlin was concerned about state laws that regulated capacity at all.

The Marlin 1895 LTD came out in 1997/1998 and featured a 24" barrel, full length mag tube, and has a capacity of nine rounds.

As far as the short mag tube looking "silly". Everyone has their own opinion.

I have read about why the 45/70 was brought back and what Marlin wanted to achieve by bringing back the 45/70. The rifle was designed to be a tight quarters, bush gun, that was easy to handle, light enough to be carried on hunts, and quickly and efficiently, deliver five potent rounds. Extending the mag tube to allow for four more rounds, made, according to some, the rifle heavier, and did not achieve what Marlin wanted the 45/70 Guide Gun to be. I cannot find where Marlin was concerned about state laws that regulated capacity at all.

The Marlin 1895 LTD came out in 1997/1998 and featured a 24" barrel, full length mag tube, and has a capacity of nine rounds.

^^^THIS^^^

My first thought was because they want to keep it light, fast and well balanced. Four more rounds up front would make it very heavy forward.

There are aftermarket full-length mag tubes for the Marlins. I’ve thought of buying one for my 18.5” Marlin .444, but have never bothered.

^^^THIS^^^

My first thought was because they want to keep it light, fast and well balanced. Four more rounds up front would make it very heavy forward.

It only holds 2 more rounds.

Back
Top Bottom