• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone load for subsonics 9mm?

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
What's a good powder for suppressor use? Subsonic is subsonic but I've noticed that some rounds are more quiet than other. Example is freedommunition vs federal. Both 147gr but freedom is a lot more quiet! Both said fps so I'm guessing it has to do with powder. So anyone use any powder that they find clean and quiet?

I'll use a faster powder like Accurate Arms #5 or #2 with a 124 bullet but won't use AA #2 for 147 grain bullets, it beats the heck out of brass when suppressed. I load them to just over 900 FPS (925-950) to stay subsonic.

While the lead cast is dirty as heck, I honestly think it is a tad less loud, I speculate it has something to do with the bullet lube. I'll drop a cap full of water down the tube to decrease the first round pop too.

I'm gonna try and get all the powder stated in this thread. Test each one out! I found freedommunition and Fiocchis are good rounds! I'm tempted to pull them apart and see what kind of powder they use.

I'm gonna try and get all the powder stated in this thread. Test each one out! I found freedommunition and Fiocchis are good rounds! I'm tempted to pull them apart and see what kind of powder they use.

Difficult to tell just by looking at it ... probably best to spend some time surfing the internet!

Difficult to tell just by looking at it ... probably best to spend some time surfing the internet!

I know but then it'll give me an idea of what it should look like. I know powder can be different shape and size. I could take a picture and google image search. I know it'll be a small shot but it will be worth a try! It's not worth loading target rounds as I can get them for $200/1000.

Also note that Federal has quite a following (perhaps not in the Suppressor Club though?)

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=95

Further: Brian's forum (Brian Enos) has a tremendous population of comp shooters that reload , so checking there is almost a "must" to be on if you reload and shoot comps

I know but then it'll give me an idea of what it should look like. I know powder can be different shape and size. I could take a picture and google image search. I know it'll be a small shot but it will be worth a try! It's not worth loading target rounds as I can get them for $200/1000.

I make them for under $130/1000 subsonic saves me powder. If casted my own bullets even less. With older powder/primers right at $100 so about 1/2. I can shoot twice as much and it really doesn't take that much effort to load 1K.

Last edited:
Also note that Federal has quite a following (perhaps not in the Suppressor Club though?)

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=95

Further: Brian's forum (Brian Enos) has a tremendous population of comp shooters that reload , so checking there is almost a "must" to be on if you reload and shoot comps

I had federal flat nose 147gr. They suck. ALtho they were cheap when I first got them but not as cheap as freedommunition and I would rather shoot freedom over federal all day everyday.

Back
Top Bottom