• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone Using Trailboss ?

sold7

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
124   0
Reaction score
Picked up some last week

Made some light 308 loads but not impressed

Could do 308 subsonic but seem useless since I have blackout

Seems to only be good for cowboy type loads in large cases

I am going to try 45-70, 45 ACP and 38 Spl to see if there is something I like it in.

Let me know what you're using it for.

Used it for 308 subs with minimal success. Moved to 300blk for subsonic use. Other than what you've already mentioned, don't see much use for it.

Use it for 308 subsonics with good success. A lot depends on your host, twist rate, bullet weight, etc.... Where on earth did you find it???!?!? I am out am need some in a bad way. 1680 is great for 300blk subs with Hornady 208gr Amax.

I have played with it quite a bit in rifles and handguns.

It worked well in my 243 with 55 grain bullets, it stunk in the 308. I like Red Dot, Blue Dot, or TiteGroup better in rifles. my problem in rifles is that the time and effort required to produce any bullet out weighs the benefit of plinking with anything bigger than a 22LR.

It also works well in the 38Special, and 45Colt. It will work in a 45 ACP, but what is the point. In the 45 ACP, 3.6 grains and a 230 ball.

Don't remember the amount but with some real heavy projectiles. I got a 10 twist and that worked good. If you have something slower like an 11,12,or 13" twist then you may be out of luck. The only purpose and advantage to using trail boss is for subsonics with heavy bullets and with a suppressor. Getting a heavy bullet moving 1050fps is gonna do a heck of a lot more than 168 or a 175 doing 1050. And using subs are only useful if you have a can. I do have a can and I wouldn't bother with subs if I didn't have it, but their awesome if you have a can.

I like Trail Boss for light target loads in my 38 and in my 45 acp. I have shot several thousand rounds and shoots well and it is a powder you can usually find. Have not tried in my 45/70 but a lot of people do use it.

Back
Top Bottom